Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Why doesnt my Mac upload video from my camera

Customer Question
Why doesn't my Mac upload...
Why doesn't my Mac upload video from my camera?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
5/5/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Bob Cook, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
What camera is it? Do you get an error message?
Tell me which version of the Mac OS you own. You can see it from the APPLE menu then choose About this Mac.
OS 10.4.11 imovie HD 6.0.3(267.2)
iMovie will work with a wide range of cameras and video formats. Here is a list of compatible cameras for an Apple web page;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014

Other camera with an incompatable format can be used by converting the video file to a format that iMovie can use.

One of my favorites is HandBrake -> http://handbrake.fr/
The web site you gave me only refers to imovie 08 but I am using HD 6. Plus, as I said, the cameras that are now not working , were working so I don't need a list. The cannon model of which I have 5 of, was recommended by an Apple sales rep. I can't believe that no other user has had this problem. It seems so pervasive and without cause! But it is clear from your answer that you have not run into this problem in the past and so cannot help me. In fact, I do not feel that I have been helped in any way.
I'm sorry this site posts your original sentence and that's all I saw when I responded then I didn't look to see the rest of your message.

Apple has a large document about seeing Firewire Cameras with iMovie;

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1924

Most of the problems deal with Firewire itself and some compatibility issues with the iSight cameras.
Make sure that you are connected directly to your firewire port and not a hub.
Make sure you have all your Apple Updates.
A good quality Firewire cable is important.

There is no indication that a camera gets progressively worst over time. The tape can degrade.
Bob Cook
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius