Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Mac mail not receiving

Customer Question
My MAC MAIL accounts will...
My MAC MAIL accounts will not RECEIVE mail. I can SEND, but not receive. I can access all accounts via web, but not via MAC mail. This has happened before.   I've even changed settings to: pop.att.yahoo.com instead of: sbcglobal.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
5/4/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist

Which accounts have stopped receiving mail? at&t mail? If there are any others, let us know!

Thanks,
Brandon
ALLOF THEM. My normal address suffix is: @sbcglobal.net
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, ***** ***** be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
MAC OS X Tiger   10.4.11
Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 sets of Incoming and Outgoing email server addresses for SBC Global and AT&T emails because I am not quite sure which email service you have.
However, if you look further below, I have a process I would like you to try, in order to make sure your email is able to receive again.

Incoming mail server SBC Global Yahoo!: pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
Incoming mail server AT&T/SBC: pop.att.yahoo.com (Port: 995 with SSL)

Under Mail > Preferences, go to your 3rd party email and verify your current POP (incoming) server information is correct:
pop.att.yahoo.com (or pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com)
• Type in full email address in User name
• Correct port should be 110 or 25 (can be changed under Advanced tab in
Mail Preferences >Accounts and then tested)
• No need to set Authentication
• Uncheck the use secure authentication (SSL) checkbox.

Try to configure your incoming email with these settings in Mac OS X Mail and see if this helps. Remember, the port settings applies for both Incoming email servers that I have listed here.

Let me know if this helps, I will be watching for your update.

Thanks!

-TD

I retrieved this email from the web, SAFARI, NOT Mac Mail.
I will try AGAIN to reset port.
Last time, I set it to 110. Not good. I will again attempt: 25

I've attempted to reset port to 25. And UNCHECK (SSL)

NO DICE.

As before, I am able to retrieve mail from SAFARI, but not Mac Mail.

WHAT NEXT?

Thanks for the update.

Could you provide me exactly what email services you have specifically, that are not allowing you to receive emails? (i.e. AT&T or SBCGlobal- Yahoo, Gmail, .Mac, etc.)
(**Note: Please do not provide your full email account. To preserve the privacy of your email account, JustAnswer.com has a block that will display your email address in "X's" so there is not need to post it in your reply.)
I just need to know exactly which service you have is my reason for inquiring.

•Also by clicking on Mail>About Mail, can you verify what version of Mac OS X Mail you have?

I am doing a little more research to determine what could be affecting your inability to use your email accounts for receiving email via Mac OS X Mail.

Thanks again, I await your reply.

-TD
The suffix to all my accounts/addresses is: @sbcglobal.net

I have NO OTHER other accounts.

I pay for DSL connection through AT&T.

My version of OS is: 10.4.11 TIGER

I can access ALL accounts via web based SAFARI -- very labor intensive to sign in, sign out, find something on web, then start process again...and again...

Also, I can't control character appearance via SAFARI.   I can w/MAC Mail.
Thanks for this confirmation.

Actually, I was also trying to find out what version of Mac OS X Mail (the mail application itself) that you currently are working with on your 10.4.11.
You can locate that by clicking on Mail>About Mail.

Also just to update you, please review this link below,
there are other Mac OS X 10.4.11 users who have been experiencing the same issue as you

SBCGlobal email receive/send issues (with Mac Mail- Tiger)

Additional step:
What I would like for you to also try in the meantime, while I am still researching the SBCGlobal email issue is a little test. Below, I have a link to Thunderbird 2 for Mac from Mozilla (the developer of web browser Firefox 3)

Thunderbird 2.1 for Mac

• I am suggesting you try this great 3rd party email client for Macs with at least one of your SBC Global.net emails, just to test in lieu of the Mac OS X Mail client to see if you can receive and send mail with that email account using this 3rd party email client.

Please update me with this little test I am offering to let me know if you are experiencing anything the same or different with this other Mac friendly email client.

In the mean time, I will still be looking into this Mac OS X Mail (Tiger) issue with sbcglobal.net not receiving emails and will reply back you for more technical steps that I think can help in this case

Thanks so much for your patience, I will be awaiting your update.

-TD

MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer