Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I write on behalf of a friend who is having problems with the

Customer Question
iBook G4 I passed on...
I write on behalf of a friend who is having problems with the iBook G4 I passed on to her last year. Whenever she opens Netowrk Preferences she gets a clinging window with the message "Your network configuration has changed" and even if you press OK, or no matter what you do, it will never close or let you do anything else. The only way to get out is by Force Quit. This happens since she upgraded Firefox to the latest version a few weeks ago, although I am not sure the two things are related. How can you stop this from happening?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
5/4/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Bob Cook, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
In a FINDER window navigate to ~/Library/Preferences and move the file preferences.plist to the desktop.
Also move com.apple.NetworkUtility.plist to the desktop.
Thank you Bob. I will give this instructions to her and let you know if she was able to to this.
OK let me know.
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

I found this thread at Apple Discussions. It describes a fix.

Make sure to write down your network settings first as this process will delete all your network settings. You will need to re-type them all in to get access to the network and other net services.

Go to Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (from your Hard drive, not the Home Folder) and delete the following (suggest make copies to the desktop first if in doubt):

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
com.apple.nat.plist

Another way to fix it is to very quickly click on the Pop-up menu behind the error message right after you click on it.
Delete any Location and then re-create it and the message goes away. This has also worked for some people.

Apple is aware of this and hopefully will fix it.

Hi Mike,
I'm a bit confused as had already received some advice from Bob. Is this complementary?
In any case I will pass on the instructions to my friend and see how she goes. It will take some time as she has limited availability and I have to translate it all to Spanish.
I´ll write with the outcome.
Thank you very much.
Isabel
yes.
Hi Mike and Bob,

Sorry I am not able to give you an update yet. I live in Barcelona and my friend is in Madrid, and our timetables coincide very little, so this may take a few days. It will be a slow process - I hope you don't mind.

Thanks a lot

Isabel
ok
Looks like she is managing for the moment so we have not tried the advice - looks a bit complicated though. Thank you anyway.
OK. We'll be here.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Mike, Mac Support Specialist