Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

When I double-click the hard drive icon, it closes by itself.

Customer Question
I cannot get at the...
When I double-click the hard drive icon, it closes by itself. I cannot get at the files.

When I try to restart off of the supplied Tech-Tools CD, while holding down the "C" key, it continues to boot off of the Mac Hard drive and not the cd.

Please help!

Thanks for your time.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
5/4/2009
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What model of Mac do you have and is it possible for you to include the processor speed?

-I have an idea what the issue may be, just need a few details.

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
I'm running 10.4.11

Processor: 2.16 GHZ Intelcore 2 Duo.

24" IMac (2 years old)

Thanks
Thanks for your reply.
Here is what I recommend we first have you try to repair any file, folder or application errors on your Mac OS volume, which could be causing this issue with the hard drive closing by itself. You will need you Mac OS X Installation disc to perform this repair.
If you do not have it available, stop here and let me know.

-RUN DISK UTILITY WITH STARTUP DISK-

Insert your Mac OS X Startup disk
•Reboot your Mac
•At the Apple Chime, press the C key and hold it until you see a White screen, gray Apple and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
•Mac will boot from the startup disk to the Installer environment
• From the Installer Menu bar, click Utilities > Disk Utility and open up Disk Utility application.
• Click on on the hard drive at the top of the window in the left sidebar and
• Select "Repair Disk"
**Let Disk Utilities run this repair the disk until completion
• At the end of this process, reboot your Mac

Let me know if this helps. I await your update.
Thanks!

-TD
MacTechTrainer
If the advice does not work, how do I contact the same person for further assistance?

(I'll have to quit out of Safari and reboot the computer to try the advice)
Thanks for your reply.

Just come back to this JustAnswer.com site and log back in, is the easiest step.

Also, if I do not get an update from you, I will reply back to you. Thanks!

-TD
I followed the above steps and the hard drive window still clicks shut immediately after double-clicking on it's icon.

The disk utility claimed to have repaired the disk. So it did what it was suppose to.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Thanks for your reply.

I want you to try this for a moment

• Click on Apple menu icon and select System Preferences
• Then click Accounts
• Create a new User Account and make sure you assign that new user, the Administrator privileges.

Once the new user has been created, log out and then log into that new user account and click on the Macintosh HD in order to see if the icon acts the same way when you click it.

If it does the same thing, this may be more system-specific than user-specific. If it does not, then the issue is with your original user.

I will be watching for your update. Thanks!

-TD

MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer