MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My Mac is having some issues. Anytime I use the track pad it

My Mac is having some issues. Anytime I use the track pad it highlights everything without me having to click. Sometimes it will drag the items on my desktop simply by me just touching it. I have made sure that the settings were correct, but after reading several troubleshooting forums I am unable to find anyone with the same problem. Any ideas what could cause this issue?
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some steps I recommend you try to resolve the issue with the trackpad function issue.
• First, Shutdown your Mac.

• Once it is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
• Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time. Release the keys and allow the Macbook to start up.

• Once your Mac is booted back up to the main desktop test the trackpad again, to see if there is any change in the way it has been functioning.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the advice, I did try resetting the PRAM and unfortunately this did not resolve my issue. The trackpad is still doing the same thing. Any additional advice?
Absolutely. And thanks for the update

Can you provide me what model of Macbook or Macbook Pro you have by listing the processor speed for me? This will allow me to source your model in my resource database for more troubleshooting options.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your reply.

-TD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My computer is a MacBook Pro 15" with 2GHz, anything else needed?
No that is great, thanks for that important detail.

I have a link that I would like you to try, which is a firmware update that Apple has made for Macbook Pros.

Before you run this update however, I would need you to verifythat your SMC Version for your sustem is is an earlier version firmware than this update.

To do this, you will need to click on the Apple menu icon, located in the upper left corner of your screen and from the drop down menu select "About this Mac".

• Once the small window opens, select the "More info" button. This will open the System Profiler and default to the Hardware Overview which will show you your SMC Version. If the version you see is less than 1.5.1, run the Macbook Pro Firmware Update via the link below.

graphic
Macbook Pro Firmware update v1.5.1

Follow the instructions and prompts until completion. This EFI firmware update is designed to fix stability issues with Macbook Pro hardware.

Let me know the outcome. Now if your firmware update is up to date already,
please reply back as soon as you can and I will attempt other troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve this issue.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be watching for your next post.

-TD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the response, Mine is an older version however when I attempted to download the firmware update the computer gave me a pop up with the "your computer does not need this update." Still no luck.
Thanks for the update.

What I would like you to try next is to check some settings in a few System Preferences panes.

Here's what you need to do:
If you click on the Apple Menu bar, select System Preferences
• Then click on Universal Access pane
• When the Universal Access window is open click on Keyboard tab and make sure the "Sticky Keys" function is off.
• Next, click on Mouse tab and make sure "Mouse Keys" function is Off.
• After you have checked these settings, click the Show All button.

• Now go to the Keyboard and Mouse settings and click the TrackPad tab.
Make sure the Clicking checkbox is unchecked.
Make sure to check (if not already done) the Ignore accidental trackpad input checkbox.

graphic

Once you have completed these actions, click and run the firmware update link below, which has been created specifically for your model of Macbook Pro, again developed to resolve stability issues.

Macbook Pro 15 Inch SMC Firmware Update

If the message again appears statingour computer does not need this update, as well, then this means your Macbook Pro's firmware is up to date and there is no further need to attempt another update.

Let me know if any of these suggested actions helps with your current trackpad issue.

I'll be looking for your update. Thanks!

-TD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again for the response! I appreciate all your help, all of the trackpad settings are correct. The update that you sent me I believe is for the Leopard version, and I currently have Tiger. Is there any update available for Tiger that resolve this issue? I was unable to find any on my own. Let me know if there is anything else I can try.
Hello and thanks again for your reply.

Actually, it does not matter what version of Mac OS X 10.4 you have, so long as it is version 10.4.6 and higher.

This is a firmware update which effects the logic board settings for your Macbook Pro, not your operating system.

Macbook Pro 15 inch SMC Firmware Update

So it is ok to go ahead and run this update to make sure your Macbook Pro's firmware is updated for your SMC (which is the System Management Controller microchip on logic board).

Addtionally, if you would I would like to suggest you go back into the Keyboard and Mouse>Trackpad window, within System Preferences and this time, check the Clicking feature and and see if this makes any difference with the operation of your Trackpad. In fact, I invite you to, if you have not already done so, to experiment with the few settings under the Trackpad window.

Lastly, I also have included from Apple, a link I wanted to you review, regarding the jumpy and erratic operations of a Macbook/Macbook Pro trackpad. This may help shed some more insight as to what could be occuring, with your Macbook Pro track pad.

Thanks for all your patience thus far, I am working as diligently as I can to see this issue to resolution for you, so keep me posted. Thanks!

-TD

Jumpy /Erratic Trackpad operation
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So far nothing is working to repair the issue. The firmware update just pops up once again and says my computer does not need the update. I have played with the preferences before, and again today with your instructions and it has not made a different unfortunately. The link contains a lot of good information, and sometimes the trackpad does not act as erratic if I tap very lightly, but only for a bit and then it continues to return to its previous state. Do you think that using a mouse would make a difference, I do not own one to try it at the moment, but I can get one. Thank you for all your time.
Thanks again.

The fact the firmware update did not accept means that you are updated which is good.

Now in regards XXXXX XXXXX issue with the Trackpad, I know you have set your settings properly, but as a tech of course, I have to use whatever steps possible to assist you in resolving this issue.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX mouse, that was to be my next suggestion, if the previous actions were of no avail, which you have confirmed now, that they are. I first and foremost would recommend you look into a Mighty Mouse Wireless or USB.

Here is a link for looking at a few compatible mice for Macs, directly from Apple.com's online store page.

Compatible Mice for Macs

I also however, think that mice products from 3rd party vendors Microsoft, Logitech and Kensington have some really good Wireless and USB mice that work well with Macs. There of course are too many for me to list for you, but buy reviewing the link above and also checking the websites of these vendors will allow you to choose what fits your taste.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you and please do not hesitate to reply, if you have more questions on this issue.

All the best!

-TD