Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How do I unfreeze my computer I have an apple imac that I was

How do I unfreeze my computer?I have an apple imac that I was using photoshop on .It froze while doing some art editing (I had several windows open).I shut it off with the power button (only thing that worked).Now I can turn it on and desktop/screensaver pic comes on but otherwise completely frozen.
Help!
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need some information from you...
Are you facing problem with Photoshop only ? or with entire Mac OS ?

Which version of Mac OS are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon on the top left and select "About this Mac")
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
with the entire mac os.Nothing opens or responds when clicked on....I cant open the apple icon.frozen.
Here are some troubleshooting methods....you need to do !

Restart in SafeMode and Remove unwanted Startup items !

Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator

Then goto System Preferences>Accounts and click Login Items and uncheck or remove them all...
Then restart now (now you don't have restart in Safe Mode)

Running Disk Utility

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• You should see the language screen which will lead you into the Installer environment
• Once on the Installer screen, from the first window and from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities.
• Now choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.
• Click the First Aid tab.
• Select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop

Reset PRAM and NVRAM : Click Here

Let me know how it goes before Accepting the answer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are happy with my answer, please click ACCEPT. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried the first suggestion....nothing.btw, no startup sound or apple icon comes on, just the screensaver/desktop silently comes on when restarted.I've inserted the install disc and the install screen comes up, but will not allow me to chose anything....still frozen
Try this : Reset PRAM and NVRAM : Click Here
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we tried to reset nvam etc but still frozen....
Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (APPLE) key and the S keys at the same time.
You should see some text on the screen and then it will stop to type something..
Type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.
When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
sorry to take so long.....had to run off for a sec.the last suggestion you gave,( ie type in following exatly etc.) should I leave the macos installdisc to do this?
Do you have the Mac OS installation/restore disks ?
Oh..you have the installation disks. You don't have to put the disk in the drive when you follow this..

" Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (APPLE) key and the S keys at the same time.
Type in the following command EXACTLY:

When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return "
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Ashik,
I did as instructed twice, but still the same.....completely frozen screen saver/desktop....
I think the important system files are corrupted. So we need to re-install Mac OS, you can do an Archive and Install. It will not delete any of your data, applications or anything.

Turn On the Mac and Insert the Mac OS X installation DVD. Restart your Mac again. Now, when you hear the Mac Chime/Starup sound press and hold c till the installation windows appears. Now you can proceed by following the on-screen instruations.

OR

Restart and Insert the Mac OS installation disks and hold down Shift Key, when you see the Hard disk and the cd drive icons, select the cd and press return.

Let me know how it goes before accepting...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Still frozen.....did above several times.
I am going to opt-out, i don't know whats wrong with your Mac. I am sure other experts will help you. Stay touched...