Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi, I have a problem sending email, download attachments. I

can read email but everything...
Hi, I have a problem sending email, download attachments. I can read email but everything else creates a loading circle and nothing happens.

I have reinstalled Tiger OSX 10.4.11 on my Macbook and the problem still remains, whether I use Safari or Firefox or whether I use different email accounts.

I do not have this problem when using different PC's

I would be truely grateful for a solution.

5/3/2009
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

Can you clarify this for me?

Are you referring to webmail? Or do you use a email client like Apple Mail or MS Entourage?

Can you tell me the part after the @ in your email address?

I am referring to webmail. I have more than one web address i.e yahoo.co.uk, gmail.com and live.com etc. and none of them respond when I wish to send email or download attachment send to me. As I mentioned before this problem only exists when using my Macbook.
I do not use Apple mail nor MS Entourage. I use Safari mainly and sometimes Firefox. Using either of them causes the same problem again the problem seem to lie with my Macbook. None of my other PC's have this problem.
Thanks
Ahhh, OK.

You use the webmail interface and it is causing issues. Now I see.

Do you have any firewall setup on the Mac? or on your network?

Have you used Software Update to make sure all updates are installed?

When you re-installed Tiger, was it a clean install? or did you use Archive & Install?

Let me know,
Hi Mike

I have not set up any firewall.

I use the same network for my other computers and they are working fine, so I don't think the problem is caused by the network.

When I reinstalled Tiger I used a clean install.

The latest software updates have been installed
Well, with a clean install, and no restore of settings? I would have to say I think this may be a Mac thing.

Since I use Gmail and Yahoo, both from my MacBook and both work just fine, we have an issue where something in your Mac is doing this.

I would like to try 2 things and see if we can either reproduce this or eliminate this.

First, restart the Mac and then hold down the Shift key.

Keep it down until it looks like it is booting up.

When you get to the Finder, go to the web and send an email. Try an attachment. Do either work? Try both or however many sites that it fails on.

Next, restart normally and then go to the Apple Menu and choose System preferences. In here, click on Accounts and then click on the + sign (you will most likely need a password XXXXX unlock this preference).

Make a new user and make that user an admin. Set a passwoprd and then close all windows.

Log out from apple Menu and the Log back in with new user.

Go to the web sites and try email again.
Does it work?

Let me know.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
After installing my latest software update, the problem has rectified itself. I have taken note of your last reply and will use this advice if it plays up again. touch wood..! Thanks for now
Very glad it worked out.

Thanks for stopping by and please come back if you need anything else.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist