Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I have a Mac Pro, when I push the start button it acts like

Customer Question

I have a Mac Pro, when I push the start button it acts like it is going to start then nothing... whats wrong, can I easily fix it or should I take it in to apple store?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
I have seen problems like this resolved by resett the System Management Controller. There are a number of steps involved and it's explained real well in this note from Apple;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No it wont even turn on ...

you push the power button and nothing happens

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Did you try to remove the poer cord.
Open and remove the metallic outer door.
Press the SMC_RST switch that is located slightly below and to the right of the row of diagnostic LEDs. Use a non-metallic, non-conductive object, such as a wooden pencil. Note: Mac Pro (Early 2008) does not have an SMC_RST switch, refer to the reset procedure steps in the previous section.
Replace the metallic outer door.
Replace the poer cord.
Press the power button to start up your computer.