Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i have 2 LaCie external hard drives with 6 pin ports

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: jhannell,
 replied 8 years ago
jhannell

hello sir

what is the exact problem?

i can't hook up my 2 LaCie hardrives in a daisy chain
help
Mac Support Specialist: Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer replied 8 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer

Seeing as this is a Mac issue maybe I can help.

Can you tell me the models of your lacie drives and if you are using just the firewire cable or do you have any power adapters connected to the drives?

The reason I ask about the power cable is that daisy chaining firewire drives requires that the additional drives be powered as the Firewire is incapable of providing eneough power to spin up both drives.

Let us know

Thanks

Hi Eric, i have one LaCie connected to power, and connected to the computer, the 2nd lacie is connected to the first by firewire. should i try powering my 2nd lacie?

Ok,

If you could power the second drive it will let us know that it is not an issue with over straining the power bus of the Firewire which is the commoncause of this issue, If you dont have a second power aapter yo ucan try powering the first drive from the firewire cable then powering the second using the external power supply,

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

i switched the power cable to the the external that was not connected to the computer and couldnt see either one
now the power cord is connected to the external that is connected to the computer and the other is connected to it by firewire cable
i can only see the one with both connections not the second that is daisy chained

should i power the second external?

Yes,

If you can power the second it should then mount to the desktop.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

i lost your connection
sorry
i'll try to power the second external
i dont have another power cord

with my last Mac i just plugged them into the tower with firewire cords

i'll have to find another pwer cord to figure it out

can i buy one from LaCie?
can these externals be connected to a firewire hub?
is there such a thing?
so Eric
are you off for the weekend?
Lolly

Sorry,

I had to go to my daughters graduation from Kindergarten, I thought I had marked myself away.

The simple answer to your question is that yes you can get an external powered firewire hub.

Can you tell me what type of machine you are using?

Thanks

24" iMac with leopard
Eric, are we still chatting? you asked what tye of equipment ... 24" iMac G5 w/leopard
Ok,

You have a couple of options, You can either power the drives individually or you can always use a powered Firewire hub like this from Buslink http://www.amazon.com/Buslink-H-6FW-6port-External-Firewire/dp/B00006BAJK

Either way as long as the drives have adequate power to allow them to spin up you should be fine.

If you do decide to use a Firewire hub though , I would limit the amount of hardware you choose to power with it as the more devices you add such as drives the greater the strain and load.

Let me know if you need more info

Thanks