Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

My canon i4200 will not print I downloaded the most recent

Customer Question

My canon i4200 will not print I downloaded the most recent driver for mac, but no help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
I might need more information from you because the installation on the Canon ip42000 is fairly straight forward.

Make sure the printer is cabled to your computer through the USB port. Turn the printer on and load paper.

Download the driver. Run the driver install by answering the questions presented.

Open PRINT & FAX in the PREFERENCES.

Click the + (plus) button on the bottom of the left column.

Answer the questions presented in the add printer program.

Print something. Select the ip4200 in the print dialog box.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did what you recommended, but it still does not print; the small window comes up and says "error while printing", Mind you that 5 days ago the printing went flawlessly. I downloaded the newest driver, but never was asked to install it . I felt this automaticaly happend.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
You should have downloaded the driver then double clicked on the download package which would run an installer package.

Next you should have removed and reinstalled the printer in PRINT & FAX in your System Preferences.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Bob
You have not helpe me at all. My canon printer soes not work with my Mac. it works well with my PC.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
The reason why it does not work with your Mac is because you have not yet set it up on your Mac. The steps are;

Download the driver (you said you did that)
Install the driver by double clicking on the downloaded file and following the install instructions on the screen.

And then this is the step you are missing. Add the printer in the PRINT & FAX preference. When you open PRINT & FAX you will see your installed printers listed on the left column. If you see your Canon ip4200 listed then remove it. Add it back in by following the prompts on the screen. One of the prompts will be what driver you want to use. Choose the ip4200 driver that you just downloaded.