Mac

I have used Thunderbird for my email for several months. Recently…

Customer Question
I have used Thunderbird for...
I have used Thunderbird for my email for several months. Recently I have been off the computer for 3 weeks. Today I went to use Thunderbird and could not receive or send my emails. My service provider is Comcast. They said they could not help me because they cannot address Thunderbird problems(?). Now what do I do? I use an Apple. Can you help me?... Read full answer
I have used Thunderbird for my email for several months. Recently I have been off the computer for 3 weeks. Today I went to use Thunderbird and could not receive or send my emails. My service provider is Comcast. They said they could not help me because they cannot address Thunderbird problems(?). Now what do I do? I use an Apple. Can you help me? I am not able to receive emails so how will you be able to answer my question using my email address? I am not sure you can help me!
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Mac
4/16/2009
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 10 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank for seeking technical assistance for your Mac .I am Sr. Mac Support Specialist, TD at your service.

Here are some steps I recommend you try to resolve the issue with your inability to receive or send emails using Thunderbird.

First make sure your Comcast email address and password XXXXX correct
• Make sure you have the correct Incoming mail server and Outgoing mail server addresses for Comcast. These 2 addresses are crucial to you being able to receive (Incoming) and send (Outgoing) your emails.
Comcast incoming mail server address: mail.comcast.net.
Comcast outgoing mail server address: smtp.comcast.net

• Then from the Thunderbird menu bar, click on Tools and select Account Settings

graphic

• you will then have to check under Server and Outgoing Server (SMTP) and make sure the Comcast incoming and outgoing server addresses are correct using the server addressed I provided for you above.

graphic

If you have these setting configured correctly and the settings are saved you should be able to access your email as well as send out emails.

If you have need for further assistance, please do not hesitate to reply back to this post.

Regards,

-TD
I have done as you advised. I went under TOOLS then ACCOUNT SETTINGS. So far so good. Then I clicked on the option "Outgoing Server (SMPT)".

In the box that opens it says : "smpt.comcast.net - smpt.comcast.net (Default)."
Underneather that opened box it says :
Description: smpt.comcast.net
Server Name: smpt.comcast.net
Port: 587
User Name: <not specified>
Secure Connection: None

There is no option for "Incoming mail Server" that your Reply refers to.

I then went to an option : "Server Settings" where it says,
Server Type: POP Mail Server (Note: I never saw "POP" before tonight)
Server Name: pop.comcast.net Port 110 Default 110
User Name: agdungan

When I talked with Comcast earlier this evening the person said, "Oh, If it says "POP" then I cannot help you. You have to get Thundrebird Support to advise you(!)."

What does POP mean and how do I get away from it? Do I just type in the incoming mailserver address that you gave me , mail.comcast.net ? If so, what about the Port 110 that is given?

The box cautions against setting up "multiple SMPT servers". I was not trying to do that.

I guess I do not see that I have made any progress so far. What Comcast's site offers me does not cover the same items that you have suggested. Any other suggestions?

Still hoping ....Customer
Thanks for your detailed update and reply.

Here is a comcast incoming mail server address you can try:
Comcast incoming mail server: mail.comcast.net
Make sure the Port Address is : 110

From the Thunderbird menu bar again click Tools >Account settings
• Click on Server Settings again as this is for checking and configuring your incoming mail server.

For Comcast Outgoing Mail Server, the port address is: 587
Remember to change this address in Account Settings, click on
Outgoing Server (SMTP) selection

graphic

Try this route and then see if this works
I will be watching for your reply, so please let me know if I can continue to help:)

Regards,

-TD
MacTechTrainer
Hello TD,

Your suggestions all were helpful, however I had already done that process.

Earlier today I went back to Comcast and ultimately found that the problem was in the password. When I got a young woman who stayed with me and gave me a new password XXXXX began to work out. I now can send and receive email. I also learned to use the comcast .com to get email rather than going through Thunderbird at all. This is all so GREEK to me. But at least I am back with my communications.

I appreciate your courteous patience and information. Thank you for your help.

Cheers, Customer
My pleasure! And thanks so much for the Accept!

We are always glad to provide the answers that will help you with your Mac technical needs. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-TD
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Yesterday i went to my local verizon store because my ringer
yesterday i went to my local verizon store because my ringer was not working, the girl who helped me turned it off and then on and it worked. today the ringer will not work and i am not receiving all … read more
RobsWorld
RobsWorld
Desktop Support Engineer,
When i try to send an email on my iPhone 5. this comes up:
When i try to send an email on my iPhone 5. this comes up: … read more
It Support Specialist,
I have an Apple iPad. My internet service is with xfinity.
I have an Apple iPad. My internet service is with xfinity. Two night ago late at night I received a call from xfinity telling me they have made a change in my email servi … read more
IT Manager,
Stop searching for answers—
My iPhone sends and receives email as it should. My Mac does
My iPhone sends and receives email as it should. My Mac does not. They are synced but my Mac only receives emails and will not forward or send anything. I have called Comcast support because my email … read more
Network Engineering Diploma
My new iPhone has never been able to send email messages
My new iPhone has never been able to send email messages. It keeps telling me to enter my passwords for Earthlink accounts, but then it doesn't seem to be able to register them--at least for sending. … read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
System Administrator,
I have Comcast for my internet provider and since they have
I have Comcast for my internet provider and since they have started using Xfinity we are having problems with our email, especially when attempting to forward a message or write a new email. I have di… read more
Mac Medic,
Some college
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My gmail has worked for over a year with no problem. Then
My gmail has worked for over a year with no problem. Then last week this little triangle came up that said problem with server or network, verify settings. I tried clicking take all accounts on line b… read more
Mac Genius,
Hi, I have a MAC OSX 10.58 and I have been using (Apple) Mail
Hi, I have a MAC OSX 10.58 and I have been using (Apple) Mail for my emails. My clients use PCs and are mad that my email attachments don't show up like "they ought to". I could not create a LinkedIn … read more
Jono
Jono
For the last several weeks I have not been able to send emai
For the last several weeks I have not been able to send emails out, incoming no problem. Using the self help prompts have not helped. New point In the box where it states the email sending has failed,… read more
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
System Administrator,
My email has been stacking up in my Outbox since last night.
My email has been stacking up in my Outbox since last night. I have 22 emails (only), and they won't send when I hit send all or send/receive/all. I have rebooted twice. I keep getting the Error 17099… read more
Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack
I cannot send email, I have checked the port number with my
I cannot send email, I have checked the port number with my isp and it is correct, I do not have any security settings on and my SMTP is set correctly as far as I can tell… read more
AAS Information Technology
The email relationship between Apple and Comcast is terrible
The email relationship between Apple and Comcast is terrible and unreliable. I use a MBP (Mac OS X Version10.5.8; and Mac Mail version 3.6 (936). I use a comcast.net email address as well as a .biz ad… read more
Mac Genius,
Stop searching for answers—
Got your post. Cant figure out how to send you answers. Typed
Got your post. Can't figure out how to send you answers. Typed them all in, then they were gone!!!!! HELP!!!… read more
Mac Genius,
I havent been on this computer for about a week and today
I haven't been on this computer for about a week and today I realized that my Thunderbird mail program has completely disappeared. I've been using it for about 18 months (since we bought the computer … read more
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
Sr. Mac Support Specialist,
I am operating on 10.3.9 (Panther) Mac. Recently I signed on
I am operating on 10.3.9 (Panther) Mac. Recently I signed on with Comcast Cable Internet, and have set up 3 mailboxes (all working). My problem is their home page 'design' seems ancient in retrieving … read more
Self Employed Macintosh Consultant,
Mac G5, no longer under warranty. OS 10.4.11 using Mac Mail.
Mac G5, no longer under warranty. OS 10.4.11 using Mac Mail. Hi speed internet with comcast.net for 1 month OK performance, now I can send but not receive email. Spent many hours with comcast supervis… read more
Tom
Tom
3 years college
Suddenly unable to send email on Thunderbird. The error message
Suddenly unable to send email on Thunderbird. The error message is: The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.comcast.net failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusin… read more
Jeremy Chow
Jeremy Chow
Have Mac Mail 2.1.3 on a G5 with OS X 10.4.11 hooked up to
Have Mac Mail 2.1.3 on a G5 with OS X 10.4.11 hooked up to Comcast modem. Worked fine. Now it will only receive and will not send. Checked the smtp.comcast.net port at 587, and worked with comcast non… read more
IEEE Datacommunication Engineer,