Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have a Power Macintosh 7300/180 PC Compatible with a AppleVision/ColorSync

Customer Question

I have a Power Macintosh 7300/180 PC Compatible with a AppleVision/ColorSync 750AV Display. My monitor is now dying. Most of the screen is black. Where could I get a monitor that is compatible with my Power Mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

Wow, a good old mac question. I love it.

7300's were my favorite until the Q700 came out. Then of course there was the Q840av, then there.... I digress...

Ok. 2 things are going to determine what you can connect to your Mac. Do you have a second video card in there, Nubus style? Or do you have access to another Mac display with the 15 pin Apple connector on it?

Let me know whether you have a third party card for a display and it if has a VGA, a 15 pin connector on the back of it.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Unless it came with it, I don't think I have a second video card.
No, I don't have access to another Mac display with the 15 pin Apple connector on it.
I don''t have a third party card for a display

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok, then there may be an issue getting a new display on there without some type of Sync adaptor or another video card with VGA output.

I looked on ebay and there are only a couple of displays, applevision 17" but they want local pickup. Not sure where you are, but I would look in Craigslist or local newspapers or online papers and see if anyone is selling anything.

Also, local schools that may still have some older equipment around that they may wnat to off load.

Hope this helps some,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What type of sync adaptor or video card with VGA output do I need?
My office is in the Bronx, New York 10458
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Well, you need a nubus based card with a vga output. They were pretty standard upgrades way back when.

As far as Sync Adaptors, there are a few that were specific to Mac display cards that supported VGA. That way you could get a decent VGA display, not LCD, and use that.

Here is an ebay auction that shows the different adaptors they have for sale.

I can't find any nubus based cards with VGA for sale. I would maybe buy one or more of these adaptors and then get a cheap VGA (PC) display and try to get it working.

Otherwise, it may be time to get a newer Mac and move your Hard Drive. Newer Macs have better graphics support and use VGA out to work with just about anything.