Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

I am using Mac OS 10.5.6 with Quicken 2006. I am trying to

Customer Question

I am using Mac OS 10.5.6 with Quicken 2006. I am trying to set up an online account for my credit card with Capitol One. Capitol One says my account is online ready. I go to the automatic setup area of Quicken but I get no where. Quicken says it has opened a web connection but I cannot find it. Normally I go to my account online with Capitol One and download a file which I then import into excel to manage transactions. I would like to do this automatically each day in Quicken. Who wants this one.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Capital One has a great write-up on how to configure your Quicken to download your transactions from them. You can find it here.

Let me know if you have any questions with the steps they provide and I'll be glad to assist you.

Brandon
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Step 3

Choose the Online Account Services Setup from the Online drop down menu and choose Create New Quicken Account then click Next. At this point you want to select the type of account you wish to add to Quicken. After you have made your selection, click Next.

Online Account Services Setup does not exist in my Online drop down
Sorry, I guess I didn't look it over good enough. The PC and Mac versions are just slightly different. You can pull up your account list under the Window menu and click the New button at the bottom. You can continue the steps from there.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
BeBoo

I have been doing that. Lists/Accounts/New/ then I choose ZZZ-Capitol One as my Institution. I click on the radio button that says "Online:Let Quicken set up my accounts and download information (Recommended)   Following that, I get a dialogue box that says "Account Setup" Quicken has opened a web browser to your financial institution's website, ready to perform your first Web Connect Download....

No such web browser is open to Capitol One... I have reached this stopping point over and over again yesterday and today.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
File Format Soup

Quicken for Mac 2006 uses .qdfm files. The new? Quicken uses .qfx files. I went through 3 tech support people at Capitol One who knew very little (to nothing) about Quicken or Macs. I was calling the number at the bottom of the page from the Capitol One link that you sent me first.

The last person said "We do not support Quicken automatic downloads." They then suggested that I go to their download page and download a "Quicken" file which is .qfx and then import that into Quicken manually.

That is no better that downloading the .cvs file from the same Capitol One download web page and then importing that file into Excel. I have been doing that for years.

I wanted the ability to do nightly updates to my credit card transactions and have Quicken only download the new transactions and ignore the transactions it had already downloaded the previous night.

I seem to be getting the same issue you are coming across. I will opt-out and allow another expert to assist you. Sorry!
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
First make a duplicate file of your account (just in case anything goes wrong), then export all of the transactions from the old Capital One account, this will create a .qif file to use later. Delete your old Capital One account, and then create a new account using Capital One Card Services for the Financial Institution. Import the .qif file to the new account and then download the latest QFX from the Capital One web site.