Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

How do upload the new theme file from my comp for Word Press

Customer Question
to change my blog theme...
How do upload the new theme file from my comp for Word Press to change my blog theme
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
4/3/2009
Mac Support Specialist: sandypcnut1, Mac Tech replied 8 years ago
sandypcnut1
sandypcnut1, Mac Tech

what do you mean you cannot get into it...

Sandy

I need to import a new theme gear from the wordpress website. It loaded into onto my comp
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

What OS are you using? Mac or Windows?

Mac os
OK.

So, you have the Theme on your Mac, but you cannot log in to WordPress Admin?

is there a specific error? or is it just not accepting your password?

If you can get in, is there an error when you try to upload?

I hope you got my last message
No, sorry. All I see is the one above.

Can you send that reply again?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Yes, I am on the word press administrator for my blog. I have themes open. But do not see where I can upload the gear theme that I have downloaded on my computer.
Ok,

I understand now.

Give me a few minutes to look it up and I'll be right back.

Mac osx version 10.56
Ok,

Here is what I found on the DOCS section of the Wordpress site. Here is the link to that page.

Using Themes

WordPress supplies two themes in its distribution for your initial use. You can switch between these two themes using the admin panel. Themes that you add to that directory will appear in the Administration Panels > Design > Themes as additional selections.

Adding New Themes

There are many themes available for download that will work with your WordPress installation.

Presentation Theme Panel
If the theme that you are installing provides instructions, be sure to read through and follow those instructions for the successful installation of the theme. It is recommended that theme developers provide installation instructions for their own themes, because themes can provide special optional functionality that may require more steps than the basic installation steps covered here. If your theme does not work after following any provided instructions, please contact the theme author for help.

To add a new theme to your WordPress installation, follow these basic steps:

1. Download the theme archive and extract the files it contains. You may need to preserve the directory structure in the archive when extracting these files. Follow the guidelines provided by your theme author.
  2. Using an FTP client to access your host web server, create a directory to contain your theme in the wp-content/themes directory provided by WordPress. For example, a theme named Test should be in wp-content/themes/test. Your theme may provide this directory as part of the archive.
  3. Upload the theme files to the new directory on your host server.
  4. Follow the instructions below for selecting the new theme.

Adding New Themes in cPanel

If your host offers the cPanel control panel, and the theme files are in a .zip or .gz archive follow these instructions. Note: This assumes the theme you download is a compressed (zip) file and the files in the zip file are in their 'named' folder.

1. Download the theme zip file to your local machine.
  2. In cPanel File Manager, navigate to your themes folder. If you have WordPress installed in it's own folder called wordpress, you would navigate to "public_html/wordpress/wp-content/themes" and if WordPress is installed in your web-root folder you would navigate to "public_html/wp-content/themes".
  3. Once you've navigated to the themes folder in cPanel File Manager, click on Upload file(s) and upload that zip file you saved in Step 1.
  4. Once the zip file is uploaded, click on the zip file name in cPanel, then in the panel to the right, click on Extract File Contents, and that zip file will be uncompressed.
  5. Follow the instructions below for selecting the new theme.

Note: You can also install and activate the plugin Get_Theme, to download themes directly to your blog.

Selecting the Active Theme

To select the active theme for your site:

1. Log in to the WordPress Administration Panels.
  2. Select the Design subpanel, then Themes.
  3. From the Available Themes section, click on theme title (or theme screenshot) for the theme you wish to activate.
  4. A preview of the theme will be shown to activate theme click the Activate "Theme Name" link in the top right.

Your selection should immediately become active.

This should be all you need to get and change your themes. You just need to using a browser that works well with the site and you may need Firefox or maybe omniweb.

Let me know if I am on track here.

I appreciate your instruction but I could not implement the instructions
No problem. It was all I could find.

Mind telling me what did or did not work? Maybe we can figure it out?

I had to hire 2 Wp experts that were experienced in proxy servers work as well as working with FTP transfers. All these things I knew nothing about.

Sorry that I could not implement your suggestions.

I didn't realize it at the time but my problem consisted of 10-20 questions and needed 25 -35 different answers to solve my problem. It was and is extremely complex.

looks like Mike is now helping you
DO you know how to block adult websites within the administrator account?
-
How can I block adult sites from the administrator on a Mac book?

Have no real experience blocking sites other than turning on Parental Controls in your System Preferences.

That would allow you to block some stuff and allow others to work OK.

Another way is to get a managed Firewall device and install it onto your network after your Router and it filters the traffic both in and out according to your set rules.

Hope this helps. If you need more specific info, reply back here.

MIke for the third time- obviously you know computers and especially Macs. my problem was a complex one requiring a set of answers to individualized questions. Sorry but I had to enlist the help of 2 WP experts to help me along.
thanks for help.
I have another question if you are interested ???? THis should be simpler.
Its about block adult sites for the administrator as well as the all other users.

DO you want to answer this???

See my reply above.

Not much you can do except give them managed accounts and use Parental Controls or, like I posted above, get a Firewall and install it after your Router so it filters all traffic from all users.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist