Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My mother and I both have eMacs and we need some kind of a

Customer Question
My mother and I both...
My mother and I both have eMac's and we need some kind of a diagnostic CD to put into the machine analyse and correct numerous problems. what should I do? Peary XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
4/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Bob Cook, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
It's built into OS X. Start up from the OS X install disk while holding down the option key (iirc) and it goes into Hardware Diagnostic Mode.
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

That's the D key you need to run Hardware Diagnostics off the Install one disk or, if you have the separate Hard Test Disk (some Macs shipped with that instead of on the Install Disk) then hold down the Option key to select the the disk or the C key to force boot from any startup disk in your Media Drive.

I purchased this computer used for $275. The fellow who sold it to me gave me a variety of Disks. I put in the "Apple Hardware Test e Mac", SW version 2.0.1(NNN) NNN-NNNNA. No hardware problems were found, but I figured from the onset that the problem is a software problem. I do not have the start up disk that you want me to use. Is there a place in the menu's that can do a software check? The seller also gave me 8 Disks that are called "eMac Software Restore" Mac OS X applications classic support, CD version 1.0(NNN) NNN-NNNNA. Will thissolve my proble. I purchased this eMac to have fun with iPhoto and iTunes. More work than fun so far. example: iPhoto is making black folders below the blue folders and is mixing-up the photos in the blue folders. Its all crazy and different when I go to open a folder. Instead of 60 photos in a folder there is only one (1). All photos are stored in the top folder called "Library"---Thank God.   Peary
I tunes is a complete mess. I cannot even find the songs that I have put in.

Out of those 8 disks, any of them called Apple Hardware Test Disk?

If not, I would probably want you to insert the Disk one and then restart by running the Installer.

When it runs, answer the language question and then go to the menu bar and choose Disk Utility.

In here, click on the disk on the left side and then click on the Repair Disk in First Aid.

Let it work, then restart if it fixed anything.

Let me know,
1. When you or these Restore or Repair CD's ask me to hold the C key down before starting the computer should the CD be already in the computer or do I put it in after I start the computer while still holding down the C key.

2. While I am knowledgeable on both the Mac and PC (all of my communication with you has been on my PC), I am not really knowledgeable enough to understand what you want me to do without very explicit instructions.

I recommend that the disk be in the drive. If the computer works, you restart it from the Finder and then hold C as soon as it starts up.

If the computer is NOT working, then turn it on, hold down C and insert the CD as soon as possible.

If the Install disk is the Test disk as well, hold down the D key as soon as it turns on and then insert the Install disk.

mike

I am going out of town for a week. I will continue with you when I return.    Peary
OK.

Let us know.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist