Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Power Mac G4 using OS 10.5.6 with 4 GB RAM. Am trying

Customer Question
I have a Power Mac...
I have a Power Mac G4 using OS 10.5.6 with 4 GB RAM. Am trying to use Microsoft Virtual PC fo Mac 7.0.3 with Windows XP and having trouble getting it to read Windows CDs. They are compatible with Windows XP but the VPC won't recognise them. Get a message " Windows cannot read from this disk.The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows"             & nbsp;                                                      The disk I am using is a Mayflower Descendant scan of a Magazine by the same name. It is searchable using an application included on the disk, but when I insert it in the CD slot with VPC running, VPC will notvrecognize the program.                             ;                                                    Hope someone has experience with VPC
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
4/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Bob Cook, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
I have used Virtual PC. But I don't think the problem is with VPC. You should be able to mount and read a CD in the Mac side or the VPC side. Load up your Mac side. See if you can mount the Mayflower Descendant CD. (I'm a descendant of George Soule) If it will not load then I want to to mount a Mac CD just to make sure your CD is working.

If you have a 1gig jump drive you could copy the CD to it on someone's PC and read it from the Jump Drive on your VPC on your Mac.
Put the CD in the Mac CD slot with VPC not running
CD mounted and came up with numerous icons - double clicked on setup.bmp, Picture of boat - it opened and VPC header appeared
Double clicked on setup.exe, it flashed but then nothing more happened
Went tp PC list and started up windows XP, then double cicked on setup.exe - same response
went to VPC and tred to open up Drive 1 - got same error message as before
This is a real head scratcher. We know the CD is good and the Drive is working. It is VPC not seeing the CD ROM.

Oh Here it is. There is a bug with VPC and 10.5;

http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/VirtualPC/306

Looks like the work around is to make ISO disk images of the CD and read it that way.
What is an ISO Disk Image ?   _ Is that the same disk image I make with DISK UTILITY ?

Relatve to your first answer, is a jump drive the san]me as an external disk drive ?

Here is a link to make ISO images;

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/create-iso-image-mac-os-x-using-built-disk-utility-app-200501/

A Jump Drive is a little USB stick or a thumb drive. If you don't already own one they cost about $8 for 1gig. That is more space than you have on a CD. All the Information on a CD should fit on a jump drive and you could run it from there in VPC.
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Worked like a charm - Thank you

Will be looking for more Mayflower ancesrtors - right now know about William Bradford and XXXXX XXXXX - will look and see if I can connect to your George Soule too

Thanks again
Thank you.
Bob Cook
Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius