Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

how to fix error 3253 on entourage

Customer Question

how to fix error 3253 on entourage
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
This is not an Entourage or OutlookExpress error
http://entourage.mvps.org/error/page.html

Are the POP and SMTP settings exactly the same that the ones in Maill.app ?

This an Apple Unix system error:
Error -3253 is "Connection reset by peer", that means "tried to send the message, but the server refused the connection".

(1) try to use SMTP settings different from the one the Web provider you're using allows you.
Explanation
Supposes you're web provider is, let's say Comcast, and you want to send messages through the Yahoo.com SMTP server. Comcast may prevent you for doing this, to avoid spam relay.
So in you SMTP settings put Comcast's settings, not Yahoo ones, even if the POP settings are the Yahoo ones, the mailbox of which you want to retrieve

(2) an attachment exceeding the limit your email provider allows.

(3) On macosx, Entourage V.x lead to problem due to mac firewall enabled, especially if sending a email with an attachment.