Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Looking for Wiring Diagram for Samsung PowerSupply PSCF401601B

Customer Question
in old Apple G4 MDD...
Looking for Wiring Diagram for Samsung PowerSupply PSCF401601B in old Apple G4 MDD
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
3/5/2009
Mac Support Specialist: RJ, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
RJ
RJ, Computer Hardware Engineer

Thank you for posting your question.

I want to let you know that Apple does not publish wiring diagrams for the power supplies.
Yes I know that as I have all the service information on their computers
Apple only exchange parts, other, people repair the parts.
Samsung may make wiring diagrams for service people. But my search on the net cannot find them.

I am going to open this up for the other experts to take a look at and see if they have any information.

Thank you for your kind attention.
Opening it up to other technicians maybe just a way to find the samsung wiring diagrams for the Apple   mirror door G4 power supply.
And
Even if no one has access to the wiring diagrams someone might know how to fix them. My power supply had an intact fuse but there was no voltage across the 12 V circuit. We look closely at and found what we thought was poor soldering in the 5 V circuit which we resoldered. Still to no avail the power supply won't start up and the fans won't spin.

Thank you and best wishes
Peter
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

These Macs had a problem that when the PRAM, or clock battery on the logic borad went dead, the Power Suppy would not work.

Have you changed out that Battery?

If not, try this. Remove the battery from the logic board and then look for the tiny reset button near the front on the logic board. Press that only once while the Mac is still plugged in.

Now try to turn it on. Press and hold the power button for about 2 seconds. It should boot up.

If it does, just don't shut it down, leave it running and then get a new battery and install it.

If this does not work, then repairing it makes little sense as they are available online and at ebay for a relatively low price.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
We have done what you have said
Ebay prices forG4MDD PS are about $300
As well for your you information here is Apple's procedure to check the PS in a MDD:-
Power Supply Verification
To power on, the computer’s logic board requires a “trickle” power of +5V. If the system
fails to power on, first reset the PMU. Then follow the procedure outlined below to
determine whether the problem is related to the power supply.
Note: To verify the power supply, you need a volt meter. When connecting the volt meter
leads to specific pins, make sure the power supply remains securely plugged into its
connector on the logic board.
The following figure shows the pins and voltage on the computer’s power supply
connector. (The color noted represents the color of the wire attached to the pin.)
1. Plug a known-good power cord into the computer. Do not turn on the computer.
2. Connect the black lead of the volt meter to pin 12 of the power supply connector;
connect the red lead of the volt meter to pin 14. The volt meter should measure
approximately +25V.
If you do not get a reading of +25V, recheck the volt meter connections and measure
the voltage again. If voltage is still not present, replace the power supply.
If you do measure +25V on pin 14, the power supply is likely OK. Go to the next step
for further verification.
3. Check the trickle voltage by connecting the black lead of the volt meter to pin 12 of the
power supply connector; connect the red lead of the volt meter to pin 1. The volt meter
should measure approximately +5V.
If you do not get a reading of +5V, recheck the volt meter connections and measure
Pin 23 GND Black
Pin 22      +12V Yellow
Pin 21      +12V Yellow
Pin 20      GND Black
Pin 19      +3.3V Orange
Pin 18      +3.3V Orange
Pin 17      +3.3V Orange
Pin 16      GND Black
Pin 15      +5V Red
Pin 14      +25V Standby White
Pin 13      GND Black
Green Power On     Pin 11
Yellow +12V     Pin 10
Black GND     Pin 9
Blue -12V     Pin 8
Black GND     Pin 7
Orange +3.3V Pin 6
Black GND     Pin 5
Red +5V     Pin 4
Red +5V     Pin 3
Black GND Pin 2
Purple +5V TRKL Standby     Pin 1
Black GND Pin 12 Pin 24 +12V Yellow
10 - Power Mac G4 (Mirror/FW800) Troubleshooting General Information
If you do measure +5V on pin 1, the power supply is likely OK. Go to the next step for
further verification.
4. Start up the computer by pressing the power button on the front panel.
If the computer starts up normally, the power supply is OK. If the computer does not
start up normally, go to the next step.
5. Check to see if the power supply fan is spinning.
If the fan is not spinning, replace the power supply. If the fan is spinning, go to the
next step.
6. Connect the black lead of the volt meter to pin 12 of the power supply connector;
connect the red lead of the volt meter to pin 24. The volt meter should measure
approximately +12V.
If you do not get a reading of +12V, recheck the volt meter connections and measure
If you do measure +12V on pin 24, the power supply is likely OK. Go to the next step
for further verification.
7. Connect the black lead of the volt meter to pin 12 of the power supply connector;
connect the red lead to pin 6. The volt meter should measure approximately +3.3V.
If you do not get a reading of +3.3V, recheck the volt meter connections and measure
If you do measure +3.3V on pin 6, the power supply is likely OK. Go to the next step
for further verification.
8. Connect the black lead of the volt meter to pin 12 of the power supply connector;
connect the red lead to pin 3. The volt meter should measure approximately +5V.
If you do measure +5V on pin 3, the power supply is likely OK. Go to the next step for
further verification.
9. Connect the black lead of the volt meter to pin 12 of the power supply connector;
connect the red lead to pin 10. The volt meter should measure approximately +12V.
If you do measure +12V on pin 10, the power supply is OK and the testing is
complete. You have verified that the power supply is not the cause of the “no
apparent power” symptom.
Best Wishes
Peter

Thanks for that. Was not needed.

Replacing or at least checking the battery and pressing the reset is resetting the PMU.

If that did ot work, then you have to repalce it.

Thank you
it is my pleasure to share information with others.

So Far has anyone turned up the wiring diagram for the for Samsung PowerSupply PSCF401601B used in the Mac MDD.

Best Wishes
Peter

No, if they do, it will be posted here. I can't find one.

Good Luck,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist