Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a Power Mac G4 and was wondering if I can add something

Customer Question
to make it WiFi? Airport...
I have a Power Mac G4 and was wondering if I can add something to make it WiFi? Airport Card?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 2 days by:
3/7/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

I need to know the exact model of your PowerMac.

Do this and reply back here:
Go to your Apple Menu and choose About this Mac...
Click on the More Info button
In here, select all of the tecxt on the right side and then copy it.
Paste it to a reply back here to me.

I will then get the correct card for that Mac as wel as different options besides that.

We have decided to forget about it and just wait for our Mac Book Pro to come back from apple. We already have airport extreme and I don't think it works with this G4 but of course does with the MBP.

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name:     Power Mac G4
Machine Model:     PowerMac3,4
CPU Type:     PowerPC G4 (3.2)
Number Of CPUs:     1
CPU Speed:     1.2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):     256 KB
L3 Cache (per CPU):     2 MB
Memory:     896 MB
Bus Speed:     133 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     4.2.8f1
Serial Number:     XB11715WKXR
Sales Order Number:     M7688LL/A

We don't want to spend any money on this as we are replacing the machine soon. If you know of a way we may be able to connect from airport express with an ethernet to a G$ for only one day of use then great. But I am thinking now this cannot be done

Thanks

Ok, this takes the original Airport card. It was an option. You sure it is not installed an just not turned on?

You can find out by opening the big door on the side and looking at the front side. There would be an Airport card installed into a cage and a msall wire connected to it. Or, you can go back to the System Profiler where you got the info above and look in Airport section under hardware. If it says something like 'no information..." then there in no card.

You could get a wireless USB adaptor. They are great for Mcas like these, and also for others like X Box and Playstations, Wii's, etc, that use the Internet. So it could be helpful.

No, it will not work by plugging into Airport Express. Are you using it as the Router to the Internet? or as an addon to do music streaming?

Hope this helps. Get back to me if you need more assistance with this.
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Perfect thank you for your answer, If I get a USB adapter like it will be for a Wii, I do want one of those.

Thanks again

Yep, my son had one on his Playstation, then used it for his DirecTV box and now I use it for the Wii. Works great. Linksys makes a good one that is very simple to setup and use.

Thanks for the Accept also!

Mike, Mac Support Specialist