Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have a 07 mac book pro that was damaged and now will power

Customer Question
on and do the mac...
I have a 07 mac book pro that was damaged and now will power on and do the mac chime but will sit in a light gray screen and will not load up. I have checked the mother board for any physical damage and there is nothing I can see. Is there any thing I can do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 2 days by:
3/7/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

Try this.

Remove the battery and the power adaptor then press the power button for a few seconds. Then replace the battery and power adaptor and start the Mac with the SHIFT key down.

Release it if it looks like it may be booting up. If it does and continues on, let it finish then restart the Mac. See if it works now.

If that fails, then restart the Mac and hold down the COMMAND and V keys. the COMMAND key is the Apple/Cloverleaf key.

It will show a lot of lines of code.
Wait for it to stop and then note the late 3-4 lines of code.

Send them to me here in a response.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
I've tried both suggestions and I'm still just getting the grey screen. No boot or list of codes.
Ok,

So it will not boot properly into OS X.

Do you have the original OS X installer disk that came with it?

Let me know,
Yes I do.
Ok, good!

Insert that disk and let's see if this is hardware or software, or maybe a little of both if the hard drive has failed.

After putting the disk in, power it off by holding the power button in and then turn it back on and keep the C key down until it looks like it is starting up.

If it starts, release the key and then answer the language question.

Now go to the Menu bar and look for Disk Utility in one of the menus.

Choose that and when it opens, let me know if the Hard Drive, usually Macintosh HD is showing on the left side.

If there is anything there, note it and then send that back to me.

I followed the steps and what I got was a flashing picture of a folder with a ? mark in it. And then it just ejected the disc. I put the disk back it and it ejected on it's own again.
Ok,

Then this is a hardware issue for sure.

If it will not recognize the installer (it IS the installer for this Mac, Yes?) then the Mac is having hardware issues.

You will need to get it to a Apple Service Provider or Apple Genius and have them go over it so they can tell what exactly failed.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Thats what I feared.   Thanks for your help mike.
No problem and good luck with it,

Mike, Mac Support Specialist