Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I inadvertently deleted my MAC Mail preferences today in error.

Customer Question
I inadvertently deleted my...
I inadvertently deleted my MAC Mail preferences today in error. I have rebuilt my three email accounts plus my me.com account. I can send e-mail using MAC Mail (OS 10.5.6 using MAC mail Vs. 3.5 (930.3)     My e-mail, in spite of the fact my settings are correct and those previously used, will not download to my MAC Mail program. Only my me.com mail account functions properly (outbound/inbound works fine and downloads from server fine.).   Do I need to delete any old files or previous settings in my Mail folder or make any other changes that you may suggest and can the original settings be recovered in any way? I have been archiving my mail accounts so these files are available to me. Txx. Ben
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
3/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• Which email(s) are you not able to use since the accidental deletion of your Mail Preferences considering your .Me is account is able to send or receive mail?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Hi TD:

I am now having difficulty restoring archived mail for my company account (D-B Mail) and probably not restoring it properly from where it is backed up to an external hard drive for this purpose.

What directions might you offer to take old archived messages (very valuable as I refer to them often) and have them restored to my DB Mail box using MAC Mail?

Here is a snapshot of my mail folder and which accounts are operating properly now. All accounts in green are critical, those in red ow working-others have not been set-up (awaitng information from host servers for set-up instructions.) Can I delete any other files as shown to clean up a bit?

Mail Folder Snapshot
Thank you for such a detailed reply.

I am looking into your question in more detail on my Test Mac so I appreciate your patience while I work to provide resolution for you.

In the meantime while I am working on this issue for you, I would like you to run this Mail Update, which was released by Apple about 4 days after the release of Mac OS X10.5.6 update, due to instability issues with Mac Mail. Try again to see if you can restore your archived mail messages for your D-B Mail account , after you run the Mail Update.

Mail Update for Leopard

Also,
Quick Question: you don't use Time Machine by chance, do you?

Try this and I will be responding back to you shortly. Thanks!

Regards,

-TD
Hello and thanks for your patience.

Try this function to access your archived Mail.

From the Mail menu bar,
•Select File>Import Mailboxes

graphic

• When you click Continue a small Finder window will popup
• With your external hard drive connected, locate the folder which contains your
archived Mailboxes for the D-B Mail account from that external drive.

• What you will be looking for are the .mbox files for this account.

• Once you locate them on the external drive, select one of them
and click the Choose button.

• This will import the selected .mbox folder right into your Mac OS X Mail application and the messages within that folder should be available.

That is all it should take.

Now if you have done this already, or you run into any issues with these steps, just reply back to this post and let me know. I will respond back as soon as I can, to continue troubleshooting this issue for you.

Thanks again for allowing me to assist you and I hope this process helps resolve the restoring of your archived Mail issue for you.

-TD
MacTechTrainer
Hi TD:

Sorry for delay as I was out of country unexpectedly just now returning.

When I attempt to import from my external hard drive the onl thing I see are these two folders. I was expecting to see an accumulation of messages. Are these the folders I should see whn mail is archived?

Archived Mail Files

Further my mail program is acting really weird in that when I open a new message and read it, it no longer shows that it has been read as the Blue Dot for new mail does not go away (See Below).

graphic

I'm stumped. If my mai MAC Mail program is corrupted, how is it reinstalled and should I be backing up rather than archiving mail using OS 10.5.6 on an Intel 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac?

Thx for your continued assistance TD.

Ben

MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer