Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Is there a fast and easy way to import all my mailboxes (and

messages) from Apple Mail v2.1.3...
Is there a fast and easy way to import all my mailboxes (and messages) from Apple Mail v2.1.3 into Thunderbird (for Mac) v2.0.0.19?
3/2/2009
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• There is not an easy way to import all of your Mailboxes from Mac OS X Mail v2.1.3 but there is a way to do it and in all honesty, it is not really that hard.

Here's what you will need to do.

-Creating mbox files for placing in Thunderbird 2's Local Folder-
• Mail 2.0 does not store message folders in mbox format; so you'll need to export your folders to mbox format.

• In Mac OS X mail.app, use Edit > Select All to select all messages in one of your Mailbox folders.
• Now use File > Save As to save the messages in "Raw Message Source" format from the drop down format menu. Make sure to save it to your desktop, for easy access.
• The resulting file will be an mbox file, that you can now copy to your Thunderbird Profile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Importing your mbox file(s) from Desktop into Thunderbird 2.0-
• From the Finder menu bar at the top of your screen click on the Go tab.
• Now select Home from the drop down menu
• This will open up to your Home folder where you need to locate the Library folder.
• Open the Library folder and look for folder labeled "Thunderbird".
• Open the Thunderbird folder then locate and open the Profiles folder.
• There may be a single folder in the profiles folder with the .default extension.
• Open it and look for the Mail folder
• Within the Mail folder you should see a folder labled "Local Folders"
-Now take the mbox file (or files) that you have saved to your desktop and drag them into the Local Folders folder.

Launch your Thunderbird 2 email client and look in the sidebar under
Local Folders and you should see all of your imported Mailboxe(s) from Mac OS Mail 2.1.3.

As I mentioned earlier, it is not the easiest method for getting your Mac Mail 2.1.3 mailboxes into Thunderbird 2, but it is a proven method that does work.

Try one of your Mailbox folders for a trial, using the steps above and then start making more mbox files from there. Then save them to your desktop, repeating the steps I provided above.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer