Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im trying to print an excel spreadsheet and some of the cells

I'm trying to print an...
I'm trying to print an excel spreadsheet and some of the cells will not print and others on the same page do print, can you help me??
2/17/2009
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

Do the cells that are not printing have a lot of text them? Do you see these cells in Print Preview?

Hello John,

Yes they have lots of text but so do other cells that are printing. I see lthe empty cell in print preview.

Help I have a major deadline to meet and I need to print this document!

Thanks
Scott

Depending on the version of excel that you have the maximum number of characters that you can 'see' in the cell is between 1024 and 2048 (each cell can hold over 32000 characters but you wont be able to see in the cell or in the print out more the 1024 or 2048 characters no matter how large you make the cell or how small you make the font size)

To overcome this problem you need to either split the cells into a number of cells or manually add line feeds (Alt+Enter) to the end of each line after the 1024th or 2048th character.

If you have too many cells with large number of chara let me know and I may be able to automate the line feed operation.

Yes it is a large 100 page document with many cell and text. Again only some of the cells are not printing and it seems to be the same cells on each page?

Ok send me the file and I will see if I can find a way to fix it fast. You can upload the file at this file sharing site: www.wikisend.com

When it finishes uploading a new page will be displayed that has the 'Download link'. Click inside the link then copy that link and paste it in your reply

Let me know if you run into any difficulties.

Here is the download link
http://wikisend.com/download/962090/VOCS SP Goals-Timeline MASTER 2-16-09.xls

Thanks for helping!! If you need to me my cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX.

The file does indeed have many such cells as well as many different column widths which makes the application of a global method on all the different cells types cells quite difficult.

Here is what I was able to do in the short time available:

FILE

I hope this helps.

John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Thanks John for working on it with me, Hey one question can I split a cell within a cell like you can in a word table, where you can use a the pencil tool??

No I am afraid that is not possible in Excel. It is a special feature for Word tables.

John,

Is there a way to import an excel document into a word doc so I can print it in a table format?? Oh by the way I went ahead and sent the payment! Thanks for your help.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the accept.

Yes you can export Excel data into Word, but when the excel sheet format is as complex as the one you have, the exported data will be very hard to work with in Word.

Here are a few ways you can export Excel data to Word.

- Select and copy the entire data or part of the data from Excel, then go to Word and apply the regular Paste command.

- Select and copy the entire data or part of the data from Excel, then go to Word and apply the Paste Special command. Then you can choose Unformatted Text , RTF, or HTML format

- From Word, click Insert > Object > Create from File tab, then select your file.

Try experimenting with these options. I would suggest you start with the Insert > Object option first as this will create tables that include all your data and maintains the table order. If you want to make sure all the text in the cell gets copied (but without any table formatting) choose the Paste Special > Unformatted Text option.

But as I said it is much more difficult to work with tables in Word than it is in Excel.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

John D
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering