Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Can anyone help My husbands computer is not showing the shared

Customer Question
Can anyone help? My...
Can anyone help? My husbands computer is not showing the shared decvices under his finder window. It all shows under mine and we have checked the internet connection.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
2/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

Where in the Finder are you looking? In the Sidebar? Or under Go- Network or Go- Connect to Server?

What OS X version are you both using?

Let me know,
Yes in the sidebar we use 10.5.6
Ok,
Do you see a shared section at all? Is it empty? Or no shared section?

Try this to make sure his Finder views are the same as yours:
Go to the Finder Menu and choose Preferences.
In the General tab, make sure Network Servers is checked.
Then click on the Sidebar tab and make sure that Connected Servers and Bonjour Computers is checked.

Let me know,
Nothing shows.

They are both checked.

Are you both using wired or wireless to connect to your network?

Wireless. We use an Airport Extreme and we have three expresses and a Time Machine
Ok,

What shared devices are not showing on his Mac?

Can you check the Network Control panel and see if AppleTalk is on for his Wireless?
Go to your Apple menu and choose Newtork.
Click on his Airport and then Advanced button.
Click on Appletalk tab and see if Make AppleTalk Active is checked.

If not, check it, click Apply and then let me know if anything chnages.
He cannot see the time machine or either computer.

WE already checked each tab under advanced and they aRE ALL THE SAME AS MINE AND YES, APPLETALK IS ACTIVE

Ok.

Can you then check in Network again and see if you both are on the same wireless network?

In other words, is it possible he is logged into an express while you are logged into the router?

Check the network/Advanced-TCP/IP tab and see if you both are on the same up range of addresses... ie; 10.0.0.x on both?

Let m know,
The IPv4 address is different Mine: 10.0.1.195 His 10.0.1.193

Subnet the same

Router the same

Configure IPv6 both on Automatically

Nothing else showing
They are also both using DHCP
Ok,
Both are looking correct. I really do not know why his is doing this. There is no reason fr it.

However, let's remove a preference file and see if resetting the Finder helps. Maybe it is stuck.

Do this and let me know,
Go to his Home folder and open the Library Folder.
In here, look for and open the Preferences folder.
In here, look for the file named:
com.apple.finder.plist
Drag it to the Trash can and then immediately restart.

Wait for the Mac to finish booting up before opening a Finder window. See if anything is now showing. Again check the Finder Prefs to make sure network server and Bonjour servers are checked to be shown.

Let me know,
Before I do this you need to know he can go online no problem. Do you still want me to try it?
There is no com.apple.finder.plist!
I even did a search for it and there is not one!

Yes, this will not affect his Internet at all.

And you are in the wrong Library. There are 3 of them, one in the Hard Drive, one in the System on the Hard Drive and one in the User Folder. This one (User Folder) is located in the same folder as your Applications, Pictures, Documents, and other USER folder are.

This is where you need to start to find the Preference folder.

TFunny how it did not show up on the search! Rebooting now
Spotlight search does not find System files unless you specify it to do so.

Any other ideas? It did not work!
After I did that his computer disappeared from my shared list! We went backwards! It is worse now. I checked his prefs and both serves are checked and I lookede at his sharing and these are checked: DVD or CD Sharing, File Sharing, Printer Sharing, Remote Log-In, Bluetooth Sharing.

OK

try this. Go to the Finder and click on the Go menu.

Choose Network, then click on Browse.

Does anything show up in either of your computers?

I was just comparing the advanced items under Network. Under Airport the airport IDs are different, does that matter?

If you scan under Airport Utility it does not find anything either
Yes, the ID is your unique MAC address for idenifying the computer on the network,

Did you try to go to the Go menu and look under Network and Browse?

Yes that is where I looked. We will have to carry on tomorrow

Under Go/Network where is browse? It just brought up a finder window with a network heading at the top. Sorry if that sounds stupid!

Nothing under my Network but I can still see the time machine under the shared items. I was able to see his computer before we did the last attempt

Do you want to IM? It may be quicker. My I-Chat is poohtoo222

OR if you are a football fan and are missing the S-Bowl we can do this tomorrow anytime after 10 am. It is up to you!

U there?

Just contact me tomorrow after 10 am. U can use my IM (See above) Thanks!
We have to stay in this format on this site. I am not allowed to take this outside the site.

I am going to opt-out and let another expert take over. I am the end of what I think may be going on.

Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

I am coming in to assist you now in association with my fellow Mac Expert Mike, who worked diligently to assist you to this extent.

• I have carefully reviewed the communication between you and Mike and
   there are a few things if, you don't mind that I would like to
inquire of you.

I would like to get a layout of your home for how your network
layout is, which includes yours and your husband's computer as
well as the Air Port extreme and 3 Airport Expresses and Time
Machine. ("Airport" will be abbreviated to "AP" as I will be typing
             quickly and in detail to post each time, to you asap)

-NETWORK LAYOUT-
• What model of Mac do you have and where is your Mac located in your
home?
• What model of Mac does your Husband have and where is his Mac located?

• Is AP Extreme base station connected in the same room as one of your computers.
• When was the last time you updated your AP Extreme base station?
• Assuming your 3 AP Expresses are being used as "Extenders" (to extend
your wireless range) around your home, do they all have green lights
amber, or yellow? And are they these 3 base stations located in
separate parts of your home?
• If so, can you give an idea where these 3 base stations are located
within your home?
(For example: AP Express#1- in upstairs office, AP Express#2 -in
living room downstairs, etc.)

**Please note, these questions not just for your network layout, but for me to also determine approximate range between all wireless devices
based on what you provide.

Thank you for your patience for all the time you spent replying to Mike and with these questions.

I hope I can resume from his lead and get both of your computers and the Time Machine recognized with your network once again, with what he has assisted you with so far and what I will able to discover with your continued feedback.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer