Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

movie downloads not coming down complete

Customer Question
Hi I own a Power Mac...
Hi
I own a Power Mac G5 running Leopard. I am trying to down load DVD quality movies from the internet, but when the down load is complete it only has 1hr 21mins 7secs of the movie (1GB+ file), this has happened with 7 different movies. I have downloaded the same movies but as ipod version (350MB) and medium version (700mb) and they come over complete. I have also downloaded the same movies using a friends pc as DVD quality and they download the full movie and played the full movie in there movie player. I then copied these to a disc and copied to my hard disc and again they only played the first 1hr 21mins 7secs.
when I played them direct from the disc they still only played 1hr 21mins 7secs but this time the media player showed that there was more of the film to play but would not go any further (from the slide bar you move to forward the film)

have download using: safari, firefox, internet explorar

hope you can understand and your help will be much appreciated
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
1/5/2009
Mac Support Specialist: KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer replied 9 years ago
KevinK
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Hello:

Just a few questions:

Where are you downloading the movies from?

Can you play the downloaded movies on any of your players on the Mac?

Kevin
Hi
country: Russia
website:filmous.com

I can play the movies on my movie players but only 1hr 21min of the movie as this is when the down load finishes.
when download from my pc it will down load the whole movie and copy to disc as the whole movie, but when the disc is transferred to my make Mac, the files will again only play the first 1hr 21mins of the film. would there be a maximum file size on my quick time etc as anything under 900mb download ok but anything over 1gb does not

many thanks for the reply
hope you can help

Well....

It sounds like a format issue.

What is the format of the file on the Mac?

What is the file of the format on the PC?

Kevin
hi
thanks you for quick response

they are both quick time, avi ( i download them the same, to make sure it was a problem with the mac and not the film site when downloading files.

the problem is more with why they do not download to my mac when the files are 900+ as down loading the same file at a lower resolution and smaller file size, works fine when downloaded to my mac

Many thanks
Alex
The size is NOT the problem. If you have ever downloaded application files, they are sometimes a 1GB or larger.

It may be the site and the way they format their files. If it works in the lower resolution, then it's the way they format the larger files. The larger files are probably downloading, but since they are at the wrong QT or AVI format compatible with Mac, it may not work at all until the site changes the way they format the larger files.

Kevin

Hi
sorry for delay have had personal problems.

I have sorted the peoblem it was to do with the quick time components, had to add:
XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component
Perian.component
DivX Decoder.component
AC3MovieImport.component
Not sure which one worked but i think it was: XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component
it now plays all the film downloaded in quicktime abd VLC.

but i do have another problem and that is some of the downloaded films are slightly jerky (does not skip and sound is fine) I have emailed the site and they have checked the files and said they are fine and work with quicktime and VLC.
if you have any ideas
that would great

KevinK
KevinK
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer