Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have come up against the hugely frustrating spinning wheel

Customer Question

I have come up against the hugely frustrating spinning wheel at start up on my Macbook. Ive tried several things to remedy such as trying to start in safe mode and a disk repair and disk permissions booting from install disk 1 - no joy. I was running a fair few apllications when this occurred, any help appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
I see you have tried some of the things I would do, so can you tell me specifically what errors or messages came up when you tried to do disk repair?

When you boot into Safe Mode, does it boot or just the same spinning wheel?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply,

when ive tried the safe mode it just keeps spinning, which as i understand it is hold down the shift key whilst rebooting.

i am at work at the moment but returning home soon,

then will be able to give you more info.

cheers

Bruce

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok.

Let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike

Am home now...

The disk repair facility states at the end of a series of checks that ' The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok'

then on repair disk permissions it states 'The priveleges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume'

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
OK.

So let's try single user and run that utility again.

Do this:
Shut down your Computer.

Turn it back on and hold down the 'Command' and 'S' keys at the same time. Command is the Apple key.

Release the keys when you see a lot of text scrolling up the screen.

When the text stops and the Mac appears to be waiting for something, type in the following command EXACTLY:

/sbin/fsck -fy - (note the space between fsck and -fy)

Hit return and the disk utility should run.

Let it finish. If it returns any errors, make a note of them and then run the command again.

When it finishes and there is no error, then type in reboot and hit return

Let the Mac boot up and see if it is still giving you problems.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Have gone through those stages as described - no errors came up at all typed in reboot

but still have the spinning disc

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok.

We will have to do an archive and install and replace the System files but leave yours intact.

It sounds like the OS got a little messed up.
This procedure will install a new OS and leave you files and most settings intact.

Do this:

Insert the Install Disk into the media drive and then choose Restart. When you hear the chime as it starts up, immediately hold down the C key.

When the Installer starts up, release the key.

Answer the questions on each page until you get to the Drive selection page with the Hard Drive icons on it.

You will see your Hard Drive has a triangle in it. This means we need to make another choice before moving on.

Click on the Options button below the drive. In here, click on the choice 'Archive & Install'.
Close the window.

Continue on with the installation until it finishes and the Mac restarts.

When it boots back up, make sure to go to your Network and add in any missing settings.

Run Software Update now. Keep running it until it says you have no new software to download.

Go to System Preferences and add in your Printer(s).

This should be all you need to do to get back and running stable.

On your Hard Drive you will find a folder called 'Previous Systems'. You can safely delete this after you have used your Mac for a few days and are sure nothing is missing.

If you need assistance, get back to me here.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

For some reason it has come up with an alert 'This software cannot be installed on this computer' when trying to restart from install disc.

Now I am just wandering if this is due to the version of the start up disk as the disk version is 10.4.10 whereas my HD version is 10.4.11

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
No.
you get that message it the disk is the wrong one for your computer.

Or, are you at the drive selection page? If so, click on the Options button below the drive icon and follow the instructions above.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I cant even get to the drive selection page, it doesn't give me any options or allow me into the instructions, just keep getting this alert again not allowing me to install...

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Where did this disk come from? If you are getting that message, it is not the install disk for that computer, but it is for another computer.

Apple has made that a pain for us to install from, but it is required that you have the original disk for your computer or a retail install disk at least at the level of your installed system (10.4.11) or lower, but at least 10.4.

You can also upgrade the system if your Mac can handle it to 10.5. It will do basically the same thing.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

right i think thats thats just compounding my problem ! having the correct disk would be

helpful....

I will return to the shop and explain, they seem to have given me an earlier version which is why i cant get any further.

thanks for your time which has proved invaluable and well worth the money as it has cleared up a lot of confusion I had. Hopefully when i get the correct disk I will run through the points you have given me and resolve the problem.

regards

Bruce

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Your welcome.

Make sure they know which Mac you have so they can give you a Reatil installer or a Restore disk for that Mac.

Good Luck,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

All was well until I came up against another problem....aaaggghhh !!

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Oh no, whats up?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike,

All was well yesterday, seemed to be running fast and efficiently. Tonight I attempted to open up Photoshop and the big freeze up happened. spinning disc syndrome so in the end pressed power button and restarted. This time I am greeted with flashing question mark which will not dissappear. So installed disc 1 and ran disk repar came up with the below info:

Invalid record count

Volume check failed

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 volume could not be repaired because of an error.

so ive reseated hard drive and ran the same procedure but still the same.

checked ram in place all seated correctly .

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Invalid record count

Volume check failed

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
OK,
So when you did the OS install, you did an Archve and Install, right?

I am wondering if the Adobe apps may have been messed up by the drive going crazy and now it has messed up the OS install.

I think you may have to repeat that process because disk utility is lacking in skills and cannot go any further. Another choice would be to get either Disk Warrior or Drive Genius and try them in demo mode and see if they can fix it. Then remove and re-install Adobe CS. Do not forget to release the registration before removing it Adobe is a pain when it comes to reinstalling.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks Mike I will try that......

Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
I would go woth one of the repair disks and try that before going through all the reinstall hoops. I like them both and they work great when all else seems to fail.

Let me know,