Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty
14387740

I wasnt able to register my internet with [email protected],they mention

I wasn't able to register my internet with [email protected],they mention something like ethernet not being connected what should I do?
Is your ethernet cable (the 8-pin cable) physically connected between your modem and your mac?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Thomas,thanks for responding. Yes it's connected.
Sorry for the delay, I was in Columbus today looking at a 4 yr old Thoroughbred that was recently retired from the track. Trying to adopt her, and there are plenty of hoops to jump through.

As for your question,

Open up System Preferences from your Dock or from the Apple Menu and click on Assist Me... at the bottom of the window. Then, click on Assistant...

This will bring up the Network Setup Assistant. This app will walk you through setting up an internet connection. Firstly, you must create a new location; give it a name (such as Home). Once you have, it will ask you how you connect to the internet (if your modem is strictly a modem and has only one ethernet port select I use a DSL modem to connect to the Internet; however, if your modem has multiple ports that you can plug your ethernet cable into select I connect to my local area network (LAN). From here, it will walk you through setting up your connection.

If you are using a standard DSL modem you may need to manually establish a connection via PPPoE. AT&T can give you the Account Name and Password XXXXX to connect. Otherwise, your modem has these PPPoE settings saved internally and will not require configuration.

Let me know how this works for you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Thomas:

Very sorry for the delay here,but my computer been acting up.

Yesterday I tried the strategy you told me to but to no good,after all the program told me the same thing---that the ETHERNET cable is not connected even though it is ,so I'm back to square one,any more suggestions? Thank you,

Rogelio

Do you have another computer to plug into your modem with?

If not, you have two options to resolve this:

1) Have ATT bring out a new modem to replace yours. If this doesn't work, then you have a bad Ethernet port.

2) Buy a wireless router like the Linksys WRT54G and have your Mac connect wirelessly. ***UNLESS YOUR MODEM HAS A WIRELESS ACCESS POINT ie: 2WIRE as the name*** ATT will tell you how to setup wireless if that is available.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much I'll try that out and see what happens,Bye.