Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Today my itunes gives me this message

Customer Question
:...
Today my itunes gives me this message :
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
1/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
GreetingsCustomer could you finish listing your problem? Apparently it was cut off before you could type what the message content is.
Here is the message I'm getting when I try to open my itunes folder:
This folder “itunes” is on a locked disk or you do not have permission for this folder.

Before Christmas I put a cd on my itunes and made a copy to take with me on my trip. Everything was fine then. But, upon returning today, I can't get into my itunes...sharon
Apparently something changed your permissions. Try running the Repair Permissions in the Disk Utility in the Applications=>Utilities folder. Just hightlight Macintosh HD and then click the button that says Repair Disk Permissions and let it run until finished, then exit and reboot.
Try that for starters, we'll try something else if that fails.
I'm not on a Mac. My computer here at work is a PC. I went to the programs Add/Remove and clicked on "repair" and then rebooted, but I still get the same message when I click on my itunes folder...sharon
OK, since this was under the category of Mac I assumed that was what you had. What OS are you using (XP, Vista)?
XP
Here is a link to an iTunes support page that may help.
iTunes folder locked
Let me know.
I followed the instructions for the suggested program TweakUI. But my itunes folder still gives me the same message.
If I removed Itunes and reinstall it, will i lose all the music i have purchased?
If you delete and reinstall iTunes you shouldn't lose your music, however things happen, so just in case you should either copy and paste your Music folder, or wherever your iTunes files are, to another location on your hard drive to be safe. If it won't allow a copy and paste, just move the files to another folder on your desktop.
I removed itunes and reinstalled it. When I clicked "finish" the same "locked" message appeared. The new icon on my desktop also gives me that message...
At this point you need to manually delete the folder iTunes is having a problem with. I think that when you uninstalled iTunes, it didn't completely delete the folder(s) and just deleted files. Sometimes during the uninstall process, at the end, there will be a message that not all items were deleted. This may or may not have come up when you uninstalled. This time, when you uninstall, you need to actually browse to iTunes folder locations afterward and delete any folders left behind, if any. First, start Task Manager (right click blank part of Task Bar at the bottom of the screen and select it). Click on the Processes tab and scroll the window to find anything that says iTunes, Apple or iPod in the name. Click on the name once and then click the End Process button at the bottom. Do this with each one and then exit Task Manager. Second, uninstall iTunes. Next, find the iTunes folders.
Locations:
  1. C:=>Program Files=>iTunes (delete iTunes folder)
  2. C:=Documents and Settings=>"your profile name"=>Application Data=>Apple Computer=>iTunes (delete iTunes folder)
  3. Copy and paste this iTunes folder first to another location and then delete C:\Documents and Settings=>"your profile name"=>My Documents=>My Music=>iTunes or just My Documents=>My Music=>iTunes
Restart your computer, make sure you have the latest iTunes download from Apple, and reinstall.
Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech