Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an apple iBook G4. I can plug it in to the router and

Customer Question
I have an apple iBook...
I have an apple iBook G4. I can plug it in to the router and access the internet with no problem at all but when I try to use any wireless router, my screen goes dim and I get a message that I must shut my computer down by holding down the power button. This just recently started.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
12/2/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
GreetingsCustomer a couple of questions so I can get a better idea of your situation. What version of OS X are you using? When the problem started did it coincide with any other event such as a system lockup or crash, update, install? Do you have an OS X disc to boot from if you need to?
I have version 10.4.11. I don't have a disc but might be able to get one. Nothing else took place. Just started doing it one day.
If you had a disc I would suggest doing using the Disk Utility to perform a disk repair. In any event, you can try running a Permissions Repair from the Disk Utility to see if that helps. It's located in Applications=>Utilities folder.
If you are still having problems please let me know. If so, your airport card is most likely at fault since the iBooks have a history of that problem causing a kernel panic and locking up. If you can get the hardware test disc that would help to confirm this, otherwise you may just have to buy another card.
Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech