Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

ms word quits when I try to save a document

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
12/2/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant replied 9 years ago
Flagbridge-MAC
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant

This might be a bit complex, so lets try some simple stuff first.

Restart it and DONT accept an auto recovery.

Try to start a new document and save as .docx and not doc. See what happens.

This does not work at all. I have already restarted my computer twice since this happened. When I pull down the file menu and attempt to click on the save or save as or open button the program closes.
Lets start with a few things

1. Repair disk permissions,

2. Make sure Office is up to date (12.1.4)

3. Update OS X

4. Repair permissions again.

To Repair Disk Permissions.

a) Run Repair Disk Permissions from within Disk Utility, located on your hard drive in Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

b) Update Office by going to http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx    select your language of choice, and follow the HOW TO INSTALL directions.

c) To update OSX click the APPLE in the top left corner and go to SOFTWARE UPDATE. Follow the directions.

I have office 2004 for Mac and this software is up to date.
I followed your instructions and nothing is working.

You are saying "nothing is working"

Can you elaborate and be very precise please

OK!
I followed your instructions as you wrote them. I repaired disk permissions which took about 30 min.

I updated office and OSX. I then repaired disk permissions again. I launched word and the same problem still exists. This problem is unique to Word, it does not happen in Excel or Powerpoint.
Please be very very preceise to exactly what is happening with word when you try to do anything in word

I need you to try to create a file
Open a file
print a file
Save a file

I need you to try to narrow down exaclty where it is breaking
OK!
I can launch the Word program and it opens a new document automatically.

I can work in the New document. I can select a document from the file history at the bottom of the file pull down menu.

When I select the file pull down menu, there is no problem.

If I select "open" or "save" there is a problem and the Word program closes immediately. There is no message, no options, no opportunity to open or save the document.

This does not happen with excel or power point.
I responded to your last set of instructions and detailed my problem to you but have not received another response. My problem has not been fixed.
Sorry for delay.

Close Word

Delete the file

/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Normal

Restart Word and try again
I am sorry, this makes no sense to me. Please be more specific. Delete what file?

And what does /users/yourusername/documents/microsoft user data/normal mean?
Flagbridge-MAC
Flagbridge-MAC
Flagbridge-MAC, Consultant