Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

I tried to access microsoft word 2008 and it wont let me access

Customer Question

I tried to access microsoft word 2008 and it won't let me access it. I then tried to reinstall office 2008 and it won't do it. help-
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

What happens when you double-click on one of the Office applications, say, Microsoft Word?

Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi- it opens and then says that it's identity of this version cannot be found- I am thinking that when I reinstalled office 2008, it wiped the other clean and then won't reinstall, despite two more attempts.
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

That error is caused by the previous version of Office you had installed being slightly more up to date (some patches were installed). if you install those patches again, then it should load fine. They can be downloaded from here:

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/downloads/mactopia_dl.html#office2008

Give that a try and let me know if it works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well- nothing has worked. When I open Word- it will pull up a blank document but when i go to save it- it says something about access denied and then the little wheel starts spinnin (whatever that thing is called letting you know it is processing) and then it won't let me quit the application and I am forced to shut down
Entourge message says-"this identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage" but I have not had more than one version as this is a brand new macbook and new office program.
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

Yeah, it sounds like uninstalling it left the system in an inconsistent state. Let's try formally uninstalling and reinstalling:

1) Go to Applications->Microsoft Office->Additional Tools->Remove Office and double-click on the Remove Office icon

2) Follow the on-screen instructions to do a full uninstall of the program

3) Repair permissions on your computer by following the instructions at http://kb.iu.edu/data/aoxn.html

4) Reinstall Office

5) Open Word

6) Go to Help->Check for Updates and click the "Check for Updates" button

7) Install any updates that it finds. You may need to repeat steps 6 and 7 a few times to get all of the updates installed

8) THEN try doing your normal work with Office.

Hopefully this should work. The goal is to eliminate all parts of Office from your hard drive so that there's nothing left to cause the conflicts you're seeing. Office - particularly on a brand new MacBook - should be plug-and-play.

Let me know how this works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay- did all of the above and now have email entourage back and can open documents. However, when I open word and try to create a new file and save as it pops up a message that says "you do not have permission to access this server"- what is that all about?
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Customer

It sounds like you have a shared drive mounted and Word is trying to access it when something is wrong with that connection. Try unmounting any shared drives and that message should go away.

Let me know if that works. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay- I have network magic installed- perhaps that was the problem, so uninstalled network magic and the problem still exists- "connection failed-you do not have permission.." still appears and I click ok and it will still require me to force quit to remove the doc that I can't save- argh
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

Was Network Magic working, or were you having problems with it?

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it was working. It access my pc desktop on the second floor, from my mac laptop down stairs.
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Customer

When you uninstalled Network magic, did you run the uninstaller in the Network Magic folder, or did you just delete it?

If you just deleted it, then you'll need to reinstall it and then run the uninstaller so that it removes all of the pieces of the software from around your hard drive.

Let me know how that works for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes I uninstalled the program using the uninstaller
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Customer

The error you're getting is definitely related to Office trying to access a shared drive that is corrupt. Any number of things could be corrupt, so it's very hard to debug. If I were you, I would consider installing a fresh copy of Mac OS X and THEN installing Office. This should eliminate whatever was corrupt and causing problems before.

Programs like Network Magic modify the system at a deeper level, making them more likely to cause problems that are hard to fix if something goes wrong.

To reinstall the operating system, you can do an ARCHIVE AND INSTALL to preserve most of your settings and all of your files. Here are instructions from Apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

If this doesn't solve the problem, then doing a clean install of the operating system (preserving no settings) is the next step in troubleshooting.

Shawn