Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

HELP! I just installed the new leopard OX and have LOST everything

Customer Question

HELP! I just installed the new leopard OX and have LOST everything on my computer. Is there any way to retrieve it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

HI,

When you installed the OS could you tell us if you performed a fresh install, an Archive and Install or an upgrade?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry but I do not know. I tried to install it several times before it worked and today it finally worked. I have several programs and files that I cannot find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
claws224 - I'm not sure how this works...did you get my last response? Sorry. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
claws224 - are you there?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

We usually deal with a few people at a time so if it takes a couple of minutes for me to reply dont wory.

Now, Can you tell me what you know to be missing, Documents, Programs?

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Claws224, Thanks.

I am missing everything. All of my programs: Illustrator, photoshop, microsoft office, etc., ALL my files, all my music, all my photos, everything. I am really worried.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Could you open your Mac HDD and see if you have a folder called Previous System which should be located in the /Previous Systems/Previous System folder

If you do could you open it up and let us know if all of your files are there so we can recover everything.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the Mac HDD the hard drive? I can't find anything called previous system. There is nothing there with that name. I don't know what happened and I am really worried. Thanks.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

Could you try to search the drive using your finder search box for anything called previous system.

If it does not find anything let me know.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry, no luck. I can't find anything with "previous system." What does that mean?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Are you still there?

Thanks, Amy
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

I am very sorry to say but it sounds like you have overwritten your previous data, However there are a couple of alternatives in this situation.

The first is to use some form of undelete or format recovery software like Macintosh data recovery http://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/ or Kernel http://www.datarecoverymac.com/ A free trial can be found at both of the links I provided.

If you download the trial version of the software to see if it can find your files you can then purchase the full version to recover your files for $129.00 or $149.00

The second option would be to send your drive off to a data recovery specialist such as Ontrack to allow them to recover your data for you http://www.ontrack.com

Let us know if you need more info.

Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Claws224, Thank you for this information. I am so disappointed and have NO idea how this happened. i really can't believe it! I looked into the mac recovery download and it reads that I can't download the recovery system onto the drive with the lost data or I could permanently lose all of it.   Do you know what this means? My husband had to take his work lap-top to on-track last year and it worked but it cost $2500! Do you really think there's a chance I can get my data and programs back?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 8 years ago.

Ok,

There are a few possible reasons your upgrade may have failed which is why it is reccomended you back up prior to any major software changes, It may be that the upgrade hung up and when you resumed it disarded your old files as fragmented or orphaned to be honest short of examining the upgrade logs if they exist I could not be sure.

To recover your files using the software (which I am confident should work for you) you will need an external hard drive such as a USB drive or something like that as when you recover files they need to be written to a seperate space from where the files are trying to be recovered.

If you dont have an external drive and you have a second mac I can give you instructions on how to link them in Target Disk Mode so you can use the other Mac to recover files from this one.

Let me know.

Thanks