Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

How can I import movies with the extension AVI to iMovie

Customer Question

How can I import movies with the extension AVI to iMovie?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

OS: Mac OS X; Browser: AOL

Already Tried:
I have tried google for answers. I have tried Roxio Popcorn. I have a Mac G4 version 10.4.11
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 8 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer the easiest solution is to convert the .avi files to .mov (Quicktime). There are any number of freeware and commercial programs for this. If you have Quicktime Pro (paid version of Quicktime) that should do it as well as an Export.
If you need any further assistance please let me know. Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't want to use Quicktime, I can already use Quicktime with no problem. I want to use IMovie so that I can edit the movies.
I'm sorry I didn't explain fully. If you convert the .avi file to a Quicktime .mov file you can then use it in iMovie. iMovie will not work directly with .avi files.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
All that I can find are programs to change file extensions from .mov extensions to .avi extensions. I am ready to give it up.
Thanks for the accept. I still feel you haven't gotten your money's worth yet so don't give up. Here is a link that should point you in the right direction.
Mac AVI converter
It supports batch conversion as well so you can perform the conversion on all your existing files instead of one at a time. They offer a free trial version so you can test drive it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
<p>I will give it a try.</p><p>Glen</p>
I hope it helps, good luck.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried all afternoon to google a program that would chage the avi files extention. I loaded four different programs and none of them would work. Two of them that I tried said they wouldn't work on a Mac
even when it said that it was for a Mac. My computer finally crashed,don't know if I picked up a virus or what. I am trying a restore now.

Glen
As I had mentioned in two earlier posts, you have two paid options. Quicktime Pro is the $30 upgrade to Quicktime. It allows you to open an .avi file and then export it as a .mov Quicktime file. The other option is the Mac AVI Converter for $35 which will perform the same task of converting files. Once your files are in Quicktime format you can import them directly into iMovie. I have tried both programs and they work flawlessly converting AVI files.