Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I recently purchased my first Mac- a G5 powermac with a 21…

Customer Question
I recently purchased my first...
I recently purchased my first Mac- a G5 powermac with a 21" monitor. It has suddenly begun to blink to black. The screen will blink and go completely black, then restore to whatever it was before. After doing that for about a half hour (as I frantically searched online for a cause/answer), the screen, desktop and icons changed colors on their own to a rainbow of color, and the screen seems to have bowed ever so slighlty. The dock, situated to the left, has a slight arc, and the right margin is crooked.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
11/6/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Rob, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
HelloCustomer

I had the first model Apple Cinema 22" Display with the same problem. It started out blacking out for about 10 seconds, it later starting blacking out for 30 seconds, then a minute or so. I finally just bought a new display as this one was about 4 years old and I figured a new display would cost less than repairing the old one and I could still have other problems with the older one.

Most likely the display is going bad but, you can shut down, jiggle the connector to the computer, disconnect and reconnect the connector, open the computer and reset the video card by pulling it out and putting it back in. One other thing you could try is reset the PRAM by restarting, holding the Command Option P R keys until you hear 3 startup chimes. After the 3rd one, release the keys and the computer will start up and see how the display acts then.
I'm sorry; I really am a Mac neophyte. I'm not clear about your answer. 1. Is this strictly a monitor problem? It couldn't possibly be an issue with the hard drive at all? 2. On the reset - I should hold down four keys? The apple key, the "option" key, the capital "P" and the capital "R"? So sorry to be so dense! 3. What's the possibility that I could limp along with this bad monitor, if that's all it is, for a few weeks until payday? Thank you so much!
I do think it's a monitor problem but the second part of my answer are things to try just in case it's a software problem. Yes you have to hold 4 keys at once which is kind of awkward. You don't have to worry about capital letters, just holding those keys is all you have to do.

Yes, if the monitor is going bad you can limp along until you can get another one. The worst thing that could happen is it would black out and not come back on.

Here is my favorite place to find good deals on things like monitors:

http://dealnews.com/
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Bless you! Thank you!
You are welcome. Cross your fingers and hope one of the suggestions cures the problem. The only other way you could test this monitor is to connect it to another computer and see if it has the same problems. If it works good on another computer there is something wrong with your computer. If it has the same problems on another computer, the display is going bad. Thanks for the accept.