Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

I have a G5 and an HP deskjet 6122. When I print in Photoshop,

I have a G5 and an HP deskjet 6122. When I print in Photoshop, it prints in tones of red. When I print in Word, I get black type and no red, which is what I want. When I print in Entourage, I get a mix of red and black. I have changed the black cartridge and the problem persists. I have gone in to troubleshoot a color imbalance and can't find anything wrong. Help!
GreetingsCustomer the problem exists in the setting of the print driver. You need to select Black/White, Black or Grayscale in the printer settings window before printing the document in Photoshop. If the settings aren't correct, the printer misinterprets the information sent to it and prints color with the black. I have provided the User Guide link below.
Deskjet 6120 series
If you need further assistance please let me know. Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I have done that. I'll try again right now...hold on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I want to print black and white, if the subject is black & white, it should print the color/ black & white that's there. For example, in Photoshop, I may want a full color print and the copy comes out with a red/magenta color.
OK, I misunderstood what you typed. Have you tried the printer utility to see what problems the printer may have? This bypasses the application printer driver and should give you an indication if the printer is faulty. Have you performed a head cleaning?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not yet on the printer utility. Hold on...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would you please walk me through the printer utility? I haven't done that before. This is fun! And, no, I haven't cleaned the head. Don't know how to do that butr would like to learn.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's asking me to register the printer. Do I have to do that?
While I could type everything you need, it may be quicker if you could download the manual from the link I supplied in my original answer. Plus the manual has images you can reference as well.
You shouldn't have to register the printer to use it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. It took a long time to download. OK, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the manual. What should I reference first?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I ran a clean the head page, diagnostic test page, ink level test, and changed out the color cartridge. The pages all printed out just black and red, no other colors, even with the new cartridge. I tried printing from Photoshop...same thing. It seems that the other colors are not coming through and I can't find a reference for that problem in the downloaded manual.
It would appear that you have a fautly printer in that it will only print from the Red and not the other two colors. Since you have changed the cartridge, that is not at fault. There may be a bad connection in the wiring to the cartridge carriage in the printer. To repair it would cost more than a new one.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oh, dear, I was afraid of that. Many thanks for your help. How do I choose you as a tech next time? There was no way to click on your photo/description in the list of experts.
To be totally honest, I'm not sure. I have had requests sent to me but I'm am unsure as to how that is done on your end.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK. Thanks again for your help. Louise