Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

Im a musician (keyboard player) Ive recorded here and there

I'm a musician (keyboard player) I've recorded here and there since the early 80's. Know my way around MIDI ok. Programmed sequencers and such. I would like to get a Mac studio that can record keyboards and drum machines and voices and such. What would be the best Mac suitable for me and what components would I need to complete a home pro studio. I already have some pro mics and a lexicon effects unit and of course keyboards and modules. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 8 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer I congratulate you on your decision to create a Mac recording studio. While the following items that I will list here would suit a variety of situations, ultimately you will have to decide what you are most comfortable with and what your budget allows.
  1. 24" iMac 2.8GHZ w/2GB or more of RAM - The 24" screen will allow for an unobstructed view if more than one program is opened. Especially helpful if using multi-track recoding software, the size of the screen is an asset.
  2. Garage Band, Logic Express, Logic Pro these Apple software titles all allow multi-track audio recording ranging in price from $79 for iLife which includes Garage Band to Logic Pro for $499.
  3. As far as audio/midi interfaces and mixers are concerned, there is a wide variety of options based on your needs. Simple stand alone firewire/usb powered devices as well as rack mounted devices are available from companies such as M-Audio and many others. In that respect you may gauge your setup on your friends' studio.
While this a good place to start, there is a lot of headroom for a more elaborate setup if you decide to.
I hope this helps. If you need further assistance or clarification please let me know. Thank you for using Just Answer.