Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

My Mac quits suddenly -The screen begins to go dark grey and

Customer Question

My Mac quits suddenly -The screen begins to go dark grey and a message appears asking me to restart the computer in 5 different languages.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Yes, that 5 language message is a kernel panic crash. Have you unplugged your printer to see if it crashes without it plugged in? If it doesn't crash without the printer connected,

1) the first thing I would try is connecting the printer to a different USB slot.

2) Try a different USB cord.

3) If you are running Mac OS 10.5 you can install the latest HP printer driver update from Apple. It's a big download "405 mb" that's available here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/hpprinterdriver111.html. Unplug the printer so you can do this.

4: Unplug the printer, turn on the computer, as soon as you hear the startup chime, hold the Command S keys. When you see the prompt enter:

fsck -f

make sure there's a space between the k and -. Hit return. After it says the computer seems to be ok type:

reboot

hit return and the computer will start back up normally.

5) Repair permissions with Disk Utility located in Applications/Utilities folder.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
for downloading the lates software -- have clicked on the link provided but 'page not found ' is the reply. By the way I had already downloaded the software for the 10.5 when installing this printer as the CD provided was not compatoble with this version. Do I still need to do it or can I ove on to the fsck -f stage ??
Expert:  Rob replied 9 years ago.
Here is another link to try to download the HP driver updates from Apple. It is a direct download so when you click it, the download should start downloading in the downloads window. http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/061-5260.20080911.vgt76/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.dmg

If you have tried suggestion 1 & 2 with no luck and can't get the download to work, try the fsck -f repair.