Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
11909858

My mac will not open Cd with jpeg images on it

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
When you try to open the CD, do you get a blank window? Have you tried showing it as a list to make sure all items show up at the top?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Rob,

Actually, a customer of mine is the one trying to open the CD on his MAC. I will get with him and give you more details. Thanks

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Lots of time just running Repair Permissions in the Applications/Utilities folder will solve things like this. Tell them to try this. If this doesn't do it, tell them to download Cocktail from macupdate.com, open Cocktail, click the Interface tab, then the Finder tab, then check the box that says Show Invisible Items.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Rob,

I will pass the info on and let you know the outcome.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The screen says "the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer"

Customer is not comfortable changing settings on there computer?

Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
You'll probably have to burn a new disk and send it to them. Are you sending a disk from a Mac OSX computer to a Mac OS 9 computer? Are you sending a DVD and their computer can only read CDs?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I sending a CD burned on a PC.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Aha! I had this happen several times when I ran my printshop. The CD needs to be burned making sure it's a hybrid CD by selecting ISO 9660 format.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am not familiar with ISO 9660 format. Could you elaborate. What is the process?
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
Which application are you burning with? Maybe I can figure out how to tell you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Windows Vista
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
It's such a shame the 2 operating systems don't work so well with each other. Since it's not on a Mac I don't have an answer for you. I don't know Vista all that well. But, there should be Options or Properties somewhere on your burning software that you can change this setting.
Expert:  Rob replied 8 years ago.
I'm going to opt out of this so another Mac Genius can possibly help you. Maybe someone who knows Vista better than I do.
Rob, Mac Genius
Experience: 14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.
Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
  1. What program in Vista are you using to create the CD?
  2. Are you "finalizing" the CD after you burn it?
  3. Is this a CD/RW or a write-once CD?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1) Does Windows Photo Gallery sound right?

2) Yes

3) CD R

Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
Windows Gallery save "meta-data" about each photo in the photo file itself. Therefore, I'd guess you'd have to export the photos as generic JPEGs in order for other systems to recognize them. You might have to export the photos to a folder on you hard drive and use other software to burn them on a compatible CD.

Hope this helps, if not, I can dig deeper.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If i use Roxio Creator Basic v9 sotfware to burn a new DVD will it play on a MAC?
Expert:  drpj replied 8 years ago.
Yes, it should.