Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

EMERGENCY...Family Crisis

EMERGENCY...Family Crisis
9/7/2008
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Hi.

I did a quick search on Google for .sol and I could npt find any reference to it.

Could you give me more information as to what application these files come from and what thery consist of? iE; what are they ?

Let me know and I will try to help you here.

hi mike, so far i can't tell what applications the SOL files come from. they are files from miscellaneous websites/visits. mike, i am beyond desperete and will do ANYTHING to aid you in helping me...i'll follow through with whatever info you need. uinfortunately, i'm brand new to the operating of mac... thank you ever so kindly, deb
Ok.

From what little I know, these may be Macromedia/Adobe Flash files. They are created so the web browser can show Flash animations in a browser window. They are referred to as Cookies so I don't know what would be in them you would need to see.

There are 2 ways to view these:
1.Drag to file(s) onto TextEdit (OS X) or TeachText (OS 9). These apps should open the file as generic text and let you see if there is anything to read that makes sense.

Another way is to get this SOL viewer, SOLVE, from Soureforge and drag the sol files onto it to view.

This is the only thing I could come up with. Are these Flash files something you found, or did someone send them to you and you need to see them?

Let me know.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
thanks again mike...
the only way i can access the sol files is thru my "finder"...i get a popup message saying adobe reader cannot open files because they are not supported file types...i get the same message no matter what application i try to open with. my husband is a VERY formidable computer mac expert so i'm sure he has managed to throw every monkey wrench there is to keep me out of these SOL files...if i download the program you mentioned, how would i drag the files???
i'm sob sorry mike, but i'll hopefully make it worth your time and effort. now i'm wondering if my husband has manipulated the computer in some way to make it impossible to ever view the files???

deb
Hi.

I doubt anything is going on with theses files. They are cookies and are set by Adobe Flash and are probably nothing worth looking at.

But, yes, if you download this program, Solve, you simply click on the file and, without letting mouse button up, slide the mouse so the file lands on top of the Solve application. When it highlights let the mouse button go and it 'drops'. This is drag and drop.

The other thing you can do is if you have one of these files visible and you click on it once and go to File menu and choose 'Get Info..."

In here there will be a menu labeled Open With... Choose this and you should be able to choose Safari or Firefox to open the file as a default.

Let me know if this helps. If so, please click Accept. If not, please reply back to me.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist