Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

A few months ago I purchased the Panasonic SDR-H60 Camcorder

Customer Question
with was working out great...
A few months ago I purchased the Panasonic SDR-H60 Camcorder with was working out great when transferring from camera to my stand alone DVD recorder under the TV. The picture quality was good. But then a few weeks ago I purchase my 1st Apple iMac and started using there iMovie. Well, I noticed the picture quality was really poor. I first thought it had to do with the resolution of the screen, but when I started working with iDVD to create a movie and burn a DVD, well - the quality was just as poor. Is there something that I'm missing? A setting. Note I do record in the XP mode all the time - the best quality. I don't understand why, why, why??? Does anybody have an answer? Thanks :)
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
How are you transferring the video from the camcorder to the iMac?
Fire wire
Using a firewire
The XP mode is (10 Mbps/VBR) on your video camera, In the 16:9 ratio the resolution of the video is 640x360. In the 4:3 ratio the resolution is 640x480.

These resolutions are not very good when compared with other media, standard DVDs are 720 x 480. High Definition video is 1280×720 and 1920×1080.

To make sure that your DVD is created to optimize the video quality, be sure to set iMovie and iDVD to author the DVD in either 640x360 or 640x480 depending on the aspect ratio you chose in recording the video.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
I don't understand "to author the DVD' part. Everything else makes sense.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius