Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

my son is in Lyon, France going to university there. his 2004

Customer Question

my son is in Lyon, France going to university there. his 2004 macpowerbookg4 screen has died. How long would it take to repair this, where in Lyon can it be repaired, and how much would it cost? Since he needs it up and working yesterday, we are considering buying an inexpensive computer in lyon. where in lyon can we get a good inexpensive computer if it takes too long to fix mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Hi. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

First, don't panic. If he does not need the laptop functionality he can connect a SVGA external display to the adaptor cable and use that for work.

The screen can and will be very expensve. Depending on what is wrong, everything from the logic board to the entire display may need to be replaced.

In France, there are no Apple stores. Some universities have support centers that facilitate repairs for the students. You could check into that. There are also authorized resellers.

Apple authorized resellers in France locations are here.

If this helps, please click Accept.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is SVGA EXTERNAL DISPLAY? IS THAT A MONITOR WE WOULD NEED TO PURCHASE, AND HOW MUCH WOULD THAT COST? HOW BIG IS IT, IN TERMS OF TRANSPORTING BACK TO US?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
SVGA is the standard for most if not all displays. You can use almost anything for a display, standard CRT or LCD Flat panels. I would say a flat panel LCD will be the best choice because it is lightweight, easy to move around and will be fairly cheap to transport. Or, sell it to another student.

Cheap ones can be had for under 200.00 and larger ones, 20" and up cost over 200. but still far cheaper than 750. for a logic board or 1100. for a display unit.

Any good electronics store can sell them. As long as it has a VGA connector, you are good to go.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SHOULD HE TAKE HIS COMPUTER IN AND HAVE IT HOOKED UP TO SVGA IN THE STORE SO WE WILL KNOW THAT IT WILL WORK--THAT IT IS NOT SOME OTHER PROBLEM WITH HIS COMPUTER?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
That would be best. A good store should allow you to bring the laptop in and connect it to the display you like. That way you can be sure it will work for you.

You had said earlier that you could sort of see the contents, so i am sure the graphics are working, just no backlight to show the contents.

The only way a display would not work is if the graphics controller were shot as well. Let's hope not!!