RoeIncarnate
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.
2990473

I was given an iMac Leopard, unused, and when I try to pull ...

I was given an unused, iMac Leopard,OS 10.4.11, and when I try to access Microsoft Word, a dialog box says that the version apparently installed on my computer when it was new (Office 2004) has expired. Does this mean I must buy Word software, or is a free upgrade available. Does either cause problems? I have seen complaints about Leopard upgrades. Thanks so much for your help. I need to "translate" Mac into Word in some of my work.   Joyce
Mac OS 10.4 is Tiger
Mac OS 10.5 is Leopard.

Mac OS X comes with a trial version of Office installed by Apple. It is probably what you are using and seeing as expired. If you want to use Word/Office, then yes, you must buy a copy of it.

If you buy a copy of Word, you should have no problems installing it. Just make sure it is compatible with your system.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/system-requirements.mspx

Microsoft Office 2008 will work with 10.4.9 and Microsoft Office 2004 will work with 10.2.8.

The upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5 shouldn't be a problem. I think Apple has worked out the kinks by now. But the 10.4 to 10.5 upgrade is an upgrade you have to pay for.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.