Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Experience:  B.S. Biology from Texas A&M University and Long-time Mac User
11127226

I just installed Mozilla Thunderbird email application ...

I just installed Mozilla Thunderbird email application on my G4 933 MHz, and it seems to be running very slowly. I compacted the email folders and it helped a little, I think. Clicking between emails in the In Box always produces the "beach ball," and a waiting period before the selected email opens. I dumped netscape email because it is on its way out support-wise, but it was infinitely faster than this program. Any advice, or perhaps even a better email program for mac, running Foxfire?
What version of OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
10.5.4
I would recommend using the Mail application that is included in Leopard.

Is there some reason you aren't using it?

It is the best mail program I have ever used.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Do I have to install it? I just got Leopard, and that is why I'm moving on to a new mail program. Where do I locate this program?
It should be in the dock, usually on the left, it looks like a stamp.

If you don't find it there go to:

Macintosh HD>Applications

It is called simply, "Mail"

If you need me to walk you through setting it up let me know. I really appreciate the accept before we even finished!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: I couldn't discern the place to continue the dialogue. The interface is confusing to me and I thought the answer was finished. I removed Macmail from my computer in hopes that Thunderbird would run faster. I tried to reinstall it with the OS x dvd and found that I could not install it by itself. I do not have disc space to reinstall the whole of os x 10.5.
You will need to download Pacifist

Insert the Leopard install DVD into the drive and open Pacifist. Click the “Open Apple Install Packages” button on Pacifist. This will load the DVD.

Once the DVD has loaded, there is a list of the contents from the DVD. Navigate to: XXXXX XXXXX OS Install/Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware/Contents of Mail/Applications/ . This is where Mail.app is located and what will need to be extracted/installed to your computer. Alternatively, you may perform a search on the directory listing with ‘Mail.’

Once the Mail application is found, highlight/select it and extract it to the computer by clicking “Extract to” or “Install.” Be sure to install Mail to the /Applications/ folder on your hard drive (not your user folder).

Now Repair Permissions after the re-installation just to prevent any quirky behavior by using Disk Utility located in /Applications/Utilities/. Then you should be all set to use Mail.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I thought I'd paid last night.
You did, I am not asking for payment. That line is automatically added to the end of every one of my posts. No worries, we continue with your question until it is resolved.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Oh, I see. It's going to take me a while to get this done. My wife and I are trying to get out of town for the first time in 8 months. I will try to do as you describe tonight, but I may not be able to get to it. You have done well by me. I don't want you hanging around waiting for my next reply or anything. If I can manage it, I will let you know how this goes. Otherwise it will have to wait til we get back later in the month. Cheers!
Good luck, and have a great trip!
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The MacMail can't find my Thunderbird mailboxes. It is also asking me for a password XXXXX I don't remember. Any clues?
You will need to go to the File Menu and go to Import and choose Thunderbird, then just navigate to your thunderbird mailbox location.

Do you mean an email account password, and if so what provider do you have?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Macmail is telling me to go to ~/library/thunderbird/profiles, and I cannot find that location. When I simply choose Thunderbird from the desktop, it says no valid files or something. The macmail is asking me for my old password XXXXX it will download new email. I do not remember this password XXXXX I haven't used the macmail in a couple of years, since it seemed to always be asking me for passwords and denying me access.
ok go to:

Macintosh HD>Users>[username]>Library>thunderbird>profiles

It should be there, I installed Thunderbird just now to make sure, and it does put it there.

Just delete the old Mail account to stop it from asking:

Mail>Preferences

Under accounts, select the old email account, and click the minus button at the bottom.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
OK. Now I'm REALLY going to let you off the hook. If I had a bunch of $$, I'd be tipping you right now. Above an beyond!. I hope I get you next time I have a problem.
You've got yourself a deal, I'm glad I could help.