Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

MAC Questions

Customer Question
I have been a MAC...
MAC Questions

I have been a MAC user since its earliest days, back in the time we used 3x3 floppy discs. I am a writer and have about 100 floppies that have been created on a variety of versions of MAC computers. Many of these discs have documents that I have used for published works -- books, articles, a newsletter that I published for some years, doctoral studies, tax and financial data, personal letters and business correspondence, and other stuff. My error -- in hindsight -- was not putting these documents on successive versions of the MAC. In my home-based office at this time, I use an IMAC OS X 10.4.11; I also use a G4 MAC IBook; and still have in our office a G5 Desktop, and an older MAC 7600. I also have an Iomega Zip 250, and a external Floppy Disc holder. Can you suggest a way for me to transfer all of this data to any one of my existing MAC hard drives, so that then I can transfer it to a CD for backup? I look forward to your thoughtful reply.
Thanks -- j
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
7/27/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
I am pretty sure your iMac has a firewire port and I found this device for you it allows you to convert SCSI ports into Firewire, and it works with Mac OS 9.x and Mac OS X. You can purchase this one for $109.00 at RATOC Systems:

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html

If your computer doesn't have firewire ports, here is a USB to SCSI adapter that works with Mac OS 8.5 or higher. It is a very cheap $27.99 at PacificGeek:

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?c=199&s=937&ID=35474&P=F

Lastly here is an adaptor that is branded to do exactly what you want. "USB to SCSI Adapter Cable HD50 for Syquest/Jaz/ext HDD" It can be purchased here for $38.98 and it works with Mac OS 8.5 or higher.

http://www.shopdigi.com/product.aspx?pf_id=USB2SCSI

As always, thanks for using Just Answer!

If this answers your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
I do not understand the terminology or the products described in this answer. How will these products help me take a 3x3 floppy with documents created in WORD 3, WORD 4l, or WORD 5 between 1983 and 2005 and place the contents of these documents from these floppies on any one of the following --
MAC I BOOK -- G4; POWER MAC G5; or brand new I MAC?
I have OS 9 and OFFICE 98 on all three, as well as OS 10 on all three and Office 2000 on the IMAC.

Please help me understand. I looked at the three links that you provided, and simply do not understand what I am supposed to do with any of them in order to get my documents to work.

Peace, J
These bridge the gap between the SCSI drives of the old Mac days, so I am assuming that you have an external 3x3 SCSI floppy drive, these adaptors will convert your SCSI drives into either firewire or USB for your iMac.

When you connect the floppy drive to the new iMac you will be able to drag the documents onto the hard drive. The current copy of Office for Mac should have no difficulty in reading these text documents.

Let me know if this makes a little more sense.
Hi. Sorry about the delay in responding. I didn't realize that responses occurred so quickly. I had a family responsibility to attend to.

What I have in terms of devices are the following:

About 100 3x3 floppies-- Word 3, 4, 5, 98,

1 3x3 floppy reader, that attaches to G4 Laptop, G5 Desktop, and to IMAC, which suggests to me that this is a USB reader;

1 250 MG ZIP Drive, that attaches to G4 Laptop, G5 Desktop, and to IMAC, which suggests to me that this has a USB connection;

1 Flash Key, that also attaches to G4 Laptop, G5 Desktop, and to IMAC, which suggests to me that this has a USB connection;

I also have System 9 on G4 and G5, in addition to OS X.

I also have some old versions of WORD around.

I cannot access the WORD software, and I cannot see or read any of the floppies when I place them in the 3x3 floppy reader device.

Any suggestions? Thanks. XXXXX
When you connect the floppy drive to the OS 9 machine, does it read at all? Also could you give me the brand and model of the floppy drive (should be on the bottom of the drive)?
Hi, Sorry for delay. I had to go check out the device, and then I decided to try it with some of the more recent disks.

The device is SMART DISK, Mitsumi Model. I have had it for a number of years.

I can open and read documents on my G4 laptop that I know were created sometime between 2001 and later. By 2005 I was using a Flash key instead of the Smart Disk for most documents that I needed to transfer from one machine to another and didn't save much to floppies after 2005. It is

I cannot see the device on my G4 when the floppies contain older documents. ALSO, some floppies are single sided and some are double sided. I am not certain how this factors into the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks. XXXXX
Out of curiosity, do you have a Windows machine you could try them in to see if it is recognized?
MacLinkPlus Deluxe might work for you, it can convert all of those file formats you mentioned:

http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html
I have checked out the website that you proposed, for MACLINK PLUS, and will send my questions to their Customer Support person and see if they think that this device will be helpful.

You have shown much patience with my questions. May I let you know tomorrow what I discover?

Thanks. Peace, J
Yes, that would be great. I am interested in how to get this done for the future. Thanks for having patience with me too.
I will let you know on Monday if I have an answer by then. thank You. peace, J
Hello, I promised the MAC Expert that I would send additional info from DATA Vis when I received it. I finally received the info today. Here is their info about transfering data from old 3x3 floppies to today's IMAC system. THANKS FOR ALL HELP RECEIVED. I have already paid.
(edited for privacy)
>Dear XXXXX,
>
>It is software that you receive via email in the form of a download link, or on a CD with the addition of a $9.99 shipping charge. You can install it on whichever computer you wish to as long as it has OS 10.2 or higher. You can transfer the files to the hard drive and then use the Flash Key and so on that should work fine, the software should also be able to recognize the external source and draw the files off of it as well in order to convert them and then continue with the process you are describing. Unfortunately no version that we currently sell would have the Word 3 capabilities, the list that we have posted on our website is a complete list of the only types of files our software supports.
>As far as purchasing the different versions goes, you get more file types supported with the newer version, so I personally would recommend that one, but it really just depends on whichever machine you use more often, both versions offer the Word 4 and 5 support so there wouldn’t be a problem there. It also just depends on whichever machine you would prefer to do your conversions on because they will convert to an updated word processor that should be able to be read on any of your newer computers. I personally would go with the newest version however, because you also get tech support for the new version and with 14 you don't get that option.
>
>Let me know if you have any other questions
>
>Regards,
>
>Jonathan
>
>----(edited for privacy)
>Jonathan,
>
>Thank you for your response. I do have some questions.
>
>I have a MAC G5 with OS 10. I also have a MAC Laptop G4, with OS 10, as well as a brand new IMAC. In addition, I have both a SMART DISK Floppy Reader, and an Iomega 250 ZIP.
>
>1) When I receive MAcLink Plus, is this an external device, and if so, which is the better machine to use and where do I connect it?
>
>2) Or is it software that I install on any or all of my three computers?
>
>3) Do I put the 3x3 floppies into the SMART DISK and then transfer them to the hard drive, and then use a Flash Key to transfer them to the IMAC so that I can burn them onto a CD?
>
>4) Does an earlier version of MacLink (not plus) help with the older WOrD 3 files?
>
>I will check out the website and see what else I can learn.
>
>Thank you.
>Peace, Jacqueline
>
>
>
>
> (edited for privacy)
>>
>>Dear XXXXX,
>>
>>If you have some older MAC files that you would like to bring over to your new MAC computer you can use our product MacLink Plus to convert them into a viewable document. This will translate some of the older files that you describe such as WORD 4 and 5 however not WORD 3. Here is a complete list of file types supported for translation by MacLink http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/mlp_xlators.html. Here you can also look to see if your graphics are supported as there is a complete list of images that are supported as well. You will see Word 4 and 5 on this list as I stated above, unfortunately Word 3 is not included. The software will be able to recognize the external devices (as long as they are connected to the computer you would like to view the files on) as separate drives and you will be able to convert files off of those drives as well.
>>This software you be your best bet to convert some of these older files. You can get your purchase options here for the software (it is available via download or a CD that would be shipped to you) http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html.
>>
>>Please let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to answer them for you
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Jonathan
>>
>>----(edited for privacy)
>>
>>(edited for privacy)
>>Question:
>>I have about 100 3x3 floppies of WORD 3, WORD 4, WORD 5 documents, plus graphics that I can no longer access on my MACs. My problem is that I did not think to transfer these to newer MAC computers as I upgraded from MAC PLUS to others along the way, including 7600, G4 Laptop, G5 Power Mac Desktop, and now an IMAC. I still have access to the MAC 7600, G4 Laptop, G5 Power Mac, and the IMAC.
>>
>>I also have the following external devices:
>>
>>a SMART DISK floppy reader with USB connection;
>>
>>an IOMEGAXXXXXwith USB connection;
>>
>>a Flash Key with USB connection.
>>
>>I checked with MAC Support group and someone there suggested that I contact your company to see if you have a device that will help me access the documents that are on these older floppies. I am a writer and teacher, and having access to some of this material would be very beneficial.
>>
>>Can you help?
>>
>>Peace, Jacqueline (edited for privacy)
>
Yes, I appreciate your payment and you providing the email, this will help me for future questions like this. And thanks again for using Just Answer!
I would like to add a bonus to my payment. Your assistance has, I hope, helped me immensely. Now that I have downloaded the software, I will be trying it out later this evening, and will let you know more about that process, too.

How do I add the bonus?
peace, J
If you scroll back up to the post that you orginally accepted, there should be an orange "Add Bonus" button. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you wanting to give me a bonus. If I can ever help you again just specifically ask for me in the question.

Thanks again!
Thank YOU! I will do this!
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius