Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I operate a PowerBook G4. It was purchased used and came

Customer Question
MAC TECHS ONLY:   I have a...
MAC TECHS ONLY:   I have a PowerBook G4. It was used and came with two Apple disks marked OS9 install   & OSX install. There is a copied MAC 10.4 tiger. I have no idea what the official status of all the software is. Hopefully some of the things I use are legal.
Problem.
The password XXXXX "x", but I foolishly changed it to x1. It's not required to operate the computer. Now the computer does not recognize this password. Nor does it recognize the old one.
I can't update anything.
Online support states I can change the password XXXXX reinstalling the disk, but my computer savvy son tells me this will wipe out most of the stuff I use that came with the computer (Photoshop, iPhoto, Word, Sherlock, Excel, PowerPoint, umm, that's about it.)
Do I need access to whatever is behind the password?
Can it be found some other way?
Do I need to buy new software?
Thanks.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
7/22/2008
Mac Support Specialist: dawber39, Mac Enthusiast replied 9 years ago
dawber39
dawber39, Mac Enthusiast
Hi and thank you for choosing Just Answer

You can reset the password XXXXX the disk -

1. Start up from a Mac Install CD Hold the C key as the computer starts.
  2. Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu
  3. Select your Mac O Shard disk volume.
  4. Set the user name of your original administrator account. (not the "System Administrator (root)" user)
Reply to dawber39's Post: I found this answer when I went onto Mac online help.
So no, this is of no use to me whatsoever. It doesn't answer my question at all.
Mac Support Specialist: Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Ok try this,

- Reboot

- Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.

-When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one.

Let me know if this method works for you. Thanks for giving us a try to help.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius