Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Mac mail very damn picky about who it will and will not ...

Customer Question
Mac mail very damn picky...
Mac mail very damn picky about who it will and will not communicate with. It will not send to my company''s outlook system except as reply to email from my company''s outlook. I have no idea who else it is not communicating with.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
7/21/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
What version of OS X are you running? Also what model of mac are you using?
Mac Book Pro
Tiger 10.4
Alright, there have been updates to 10.4 that have fixed issues in Mail. Click the Apple menu and go to Software Updates. Install all available updates. This very well may fix the problem. If not let me know, and we can check the settings within Mail.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
only update was one for I tunes...time to set settings.
When you are in Mail:

Click Mail>Preferences

Then click the Accounts Tab

You will then see your email accounts on the left column.

Make sure you write down all your account information provided, such as Incoming Mail Server, User Name and in the Advanced tab record the port, SSL yes/no and type of authentication.

Go back to account information, and look at the bottom where it says "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)"

Click on the drop down menu, and click "Edit Server List..."

You will now see the settings for outgoing mail servers, make sure that the server name is XXXXX XXXXX well as your user name and password XXXXX the advanced tab.

The reason we recorded the information before is in case we wish to delete and reenter them.

Let me know if you found any errors in the server information given to you by your company.

If not, I will walk you through deleting and reentering.
everything seems to be in order, but some punctuation nuances that may or may not make a difference.
my outgoing server is smtp.mac.com:cedmundwright

When I hit the drop down box on edit, it says in use by account
(edited for privacy)

is this right?
Many people have experienced problems recently with .mac, it makes it easier for me to help you now that I realize that is your service. Last week, with the release of the new iPhone, Apple also changed .mac to MobileMe.

MobileMe is Apple’s new Internet service for Mac, iPhone, iPod touch, and PC that takes the best of .Mac and adds many new features.

You need an update to use all of the new MobileMe features. So go to the Apple Menu>System Preferences, then click on .Mac

It should then prompt you to download an update for MobileMe.

It will install, then sign in with your member name and password.

Hopefully this will fix your problem, if not reply and I will dig deeper into the Apple literature on known issues with the new MobileMe service.

Here is a FAQ on the .Mac to MobileMe transition:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1932

If this fixes your problem, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Did not prompt me to update for Mobile Me when I went to .Mac.
For some reason I had thought you said 10.5, you are on 10.4.

I found the definitive answer now:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2296

1. Open Mail.

2. Choose Preferences from the Mail menu.

3. You have an existing .Mac account so select it and click the minus button. This will not delete any of your messages from the email server. Make sure the Account Type of the account you're about to delete does not say POP; if it does then skip to step 5.

4. Add a new IMAP account with the following settings.
In the email address field, enter the primary email address you want to use to send email from, [email protected] [email protected] Note: If you were not previously a .Mac member, you will be unable to send email [email protected]

- Incoming Mail Server: mail.me.com

- Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.me.com (make sure to use authentication with your outgoing mail server)

After creating the account, you can add additional addresses in the Email Address field in the preferences for your account. Separate additional addresses with a comma. For example,[email protected],[email protected],[email protected] When configured this way, Mail will not use aliases from MobileMe, and additional email addresses added in Mail will not show up in Webmail.

This is directly from Apple, so it should work perfectly. Again, if not let me know.

ok, you've worked hard..I'll accept...one final question tho. The link seems to say to do this only if you want a .me mailbox. Are you thinking this will also iron out my send and recieve problems as well? Thanks.
Yes, and because you had the .mac service before, you can either use the .me or .mac address. It is a win, win for you. I believe they are requiring this because of a server transition on their end.

It should fix your problems with the .mac address problems too.

Thanks for using Just Answer; it has been a pleasure to help you!
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius