Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

spotlight is not working on my mac pro dual quad

Customer Question
Model Name:     Mac Pro Model...
Model Name:     Mac Pro
Model Identifier:     MacPro3,1
Processor Name:     Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed:     3 GHz
Number Of Processors:     2
Total Number Of Cores:     8
L2 Cache (per processor):     12 MB
Memory:     4 GB
Bus Speed:     1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version:     MP31.006C.B02
SMC Version:     1.25f4
Serial Number:     G88064PXXYL
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mac
Answered in 2 days by:
7/20/2008
Mac Support Specialist: Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius replied 9 years ago
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Go to the System Preferences (the 4th menu item under the apple), there you choose the spotlight settings. You can choose 2 menu items: Search results and Privacy. Please go to Privacy and add all harddisks from where spotlight didn't find anything there by drag & drop.

Quit the System Preferences and start it again. Please go again to privacy and now you remove the hard disks which you added just a minute ago. Spotlight recreates its index. It will take a while and your system will work slowly, but in some cases it worked after this little trick.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius
Reply to Aggie Mac Master's Post: I tried to Drag and also tried by using the +. All of the hard drives I tried to add weren't allowed because of UNKNOWN error...
Did you just upgrade to 10.5 Leopard? If so, Spotlight may not finish indexing some volumes. If you are currently running 10.5.0, Download and install the Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update or later. You can update by using the Software Update in the Apple Menu.

If this doesn't help, let me know what version of OS X you are running.

We will try to get this fixed. I know with how much I use Spotlight, I couldn't go without it.

Also, your Mac Pro is covered for service and telephone support under the AppleCare Protection Plan which is estimated to expire on March 09, 2011.
Hi_ I'm currently running 10.5.3. I think you should be paid no matter what.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it, but we are going to get your Spotlight working. The current version of Leopard is 10.5.4, so go ahead and update it may fix itself with the update.

The other thing that might fix it, is repairing Disk Permissions on your drives in Disk Utility. But first try updating, and if that doesn't work I will walk you through the Disk Permissions repair.

Here is what Apple says about 10.5.4, nothing specifically relating to Spotlight but there might be other things in the update that they did not specify:

The 10.5.4 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard and includes general operating system ?xes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac.

General:

- Includes recent Apple security updates.
- Resolves an issue with saving and reopening Adobe Creative Suite 3 ?les on a remote server.
-Includes additional RAW image support for several cameras.
-Addresses an issue that may result in a partially installed X11 application.
-Improves L2TP VPN client reliability.

AirPort:

-Addresses AirPort reliability issues with 5GHz networks.
-Addresses AirPort issues that may result in slower performance in Logic Studio or MainStage.

iCal:

-Improves overall iCal reliability for meeting requests, cancellation notices, delegation, and syncing with iPhone.
-Resolves an issue that prevents deleting an iCal event without notifying the creator.
-Addresses an issue in which events in all calendars affect availability. A checkbox now enables information-only calendars to be transparent from free/busy lookups.
-Resolves a UI issue preventing delegated calendars from showing up as a separate window.
-Addresses an issue with copying and pasting attendees from one event to another.
-Resolves an issue in which iCal may not delete events after a speci?ed time interval, even when set to do so in iCal preferences.
-Addresses an issue in which To Dos cannot be marked private.

Safari:

-Addresses a potential performance issue when loading secure web pages.
-Resolves issues that may be encountered when accessing secure web pages with client certificates that reside on a smart card.

Spaces and Exposé:

-Addresses an issue in which switching from a space with a Finder window keeps the Finder as the active application instead of the application residing in the destination space.
-Fixes an issue in which dragging an application from the list of application assignments in Spaces System Preferences does not assign the application to the desired space.
-Resolves an Exposé issue that may result in only a subset of windows being shown.
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master
Aggie Mac Master, Mac Genius