RoeIncarnate
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.
2990473

Need step by step instructions for

Installing Windows XP on iMac (not using bootcamp)
Category: Mac
Expert:  RoeIncarnate replied 9 years ago.
First you will need a Windows XP install disc.

Then you need to get the virtualization software. Get Parallels ( http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/ ) or VMware Fusion ( http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ ). Personally I use Parallels. But both are good.

Then follow the instructions for creating a new virtual system (usually you just tell the app you want a new system and follow the on screen instructions that ask you some questions and tell you when to put in the Windows install disk).

Once Windows is installed, you'll need to setup Windows as you see fit.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi ... not clear ... I have the XP install disk. You wrote:

"Then follow the instructions for creating a new virtual system (usually you just tell the app you want a new system and follow the on screen instructions that ask you some questions and tell you when to put in the Windows install disk)."

Are these instructions on the Windows XP disk?
Sorry, no.

Once you've installed and started Parallels or VMware Fusion. There will be an option to create a new virtual system. This should show you some on screen instructions as to how to install your Windows XP.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Understood, but I thought I could just install Windows until I get Parallels. Do I have to have Parallels (which I am going to get) to use Windows?
Unless you want to use Bootcamp, you need some sort of virtualization software (of which Parallels is).