RoeIncarnate
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.
2990473

How do I move my iTunes library of music from an old G4 ...

Customer Question

How do I move my iTunes library of music from an old G4 Powerbook to a new 80 gig iPod classic?
Category: Mac
Expert:  RoeIncarnate replied 9 years ago.
If you are still using the G4 and it has OS X 10.4.9 installed and it has your music and iTunes installed, then just plug the iPod into the provided connector and plug the provided usb connector into the computer.

It should start syncing for you. You may need to start iTunes, but it usually starts automatically.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Well the OS i have is 10.3.8 and I do not think I can get online anymore . . . when I connect the iPod, the computer doesn't recognize the ipod at all . . . is there a computer to computer cable, or do I need to get online to do this? I've tried to upgrade the OS before and had problems.
Unfortunately, iPod Classic requires:
Mac system requirements
- Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
- Mac OS X v10.4.9 or later
- iTunes 7.6 or later5

So you'll need to go out and buy OS X 10.4 or 10.5 (10.5 may not run on your computer, you need to check first).

If you like to hack around stuff, then search for instructions on how to use an ipod classic with 10.3.9. These solutions are non-trivial though, so upgrading your OS might be the best option.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks. Somehow I knew this would be a pain in the butt, but I have so much music, so many mixed playlists that I am loathe to recreate it all. I'll upgrade the OS and see if that works.
I know what you mean about music libraries (or any other large set of data)

Just a few words of advice.

Back up your data first, in case things don't work out correctly, you can go back then and try again (if you have a spare hard drive, use Carbon-Copy cloner to copy your current OS onto the spare drive).

Also, if you can upgrade to 10.5, but make sure your computer can run it, only some of the G4's can run it.
10.5 requires:
Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/