RoeIncarnate
RoeIncarnate, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  I have used Macs all my life (20+ years) and currently develop OS X applications.
2990473

Here is what I have going on. I have a G4 Quicksilver power ...

Here is what I have going on. I have a G4 Quicksilver power mac with 60 Gigs of hard drive. Today we a gotXXXXXadded to it. How can I switch my operating system to that drive and make t hat my start up drive?
Category: Mac
Expert:  RoeIncarnate replied 9 years ago.
There are two ways to select the boot drive.

To just switch it for the current booting of the computer, hold down the option key while you start the computer. You should then see a list of the boot drives and you can select one.

To switch it permanently, start "System Preferences" (under the Apple menu). Select the "Startup Disk" preference pane. Click on the drive you want to use and restart.

If this is the answer to your question, please kindly select * ACCEPT * so I can be rewarded for my efforts.
I should note that I'm assuming you've installed a bootable OS on each drive.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi XXXXX didn't know I needed to have a OS on both drives! I borrowed that operating system so I no longer have it. Can't I just drag and drop into the 2nd drive.
OK, so you can switch to using the other drive.

It's not too hard with a Mac.

Use this software to copy your hard drive over:
http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Then use the Startup Disk preference pane to set the new disk as the boot disk.

Keep your old drive around for a while at least incase the copy doesn't work for some reason.